‘It’s about trusting him’ – McCarthy on Celina selection
- Credit: Pagepix Ltd
Ipswich Town boss Mick McCarthy says he will continue to pick his moments when to use skilful Manchester City loanee Bersant Celina.
Celina stepped off the bench late on at Burton Albion on Saturday and promptly scored a fine free-kick winner.
The confident Kosovan has now netted four goals in four starts and seven sub appearances across all competitions.
“I’ve had a good conversation with Bersant,” said McCarthy. “It’s not that he doesn’t work hard, it’s trusting him. Yes, he can win a game, but I don’t want him to lose us a game by trying to dribble out of our 18 yard box, losing it and it ends up in the back of our net.
“He works hard, he loves his football and it was great he came on and scored. It is about trusting him to do the right things in the right areas.
“If he gets Jonas (Knudsen) up on the outside, decides to ignore him, cuts on the inside and then he loses it then that causes us a problem.
“He’s got terrific ability, there is no doubt about that. And it was lovely for him on Saturday.”
- 1 Two Suffolk beaches named among best in Britain for a winter walk
- 2 A14 reopens after 'serious' crash involving three lorries
- 3 Road closed while fire crews tackle Martlesham blaze
- 4 Suffolk landlord 'over the moon' to be named pub of the month
- 5 Eight centre-backs Ipswich Town could turn to this month
- 6 Ipswich Town transfer rumour: League One trio eye Preston defender
- 7 Suffolk coastline to feature on BBC Winterwatch
- 8 Hughes nets a hat-trick for Town Under 23s as familiar face plays for QPR
- 9 Retired Felixstowe nurse fears eviction after struggle to find social housing
- 10 Frustration as temporary traffic lights left in place for nearly a year
He added: “He’s a lovely young man. He trains really hard every day, loves his football and wants to stay out and do more practising his skills and his free-kicks. He’s a lovely young fella. I really like him.
“It was horrible windy conditions on Saturday. I said ‘do you think that would have been a good game for you?’ And he pulled a face. He’d have been kicked from pillar to post.”