“It’s up there with playing for West Ham” – reveals Colchester United ace George Moncur
George Moncur has rated Sunday’s last gasp winner against Peterborough United, in the FA Cup, as one of the “best moments of his career.”
Midfielder Moncur was crowned a hero when slotting home an injury-time goal to secure a 1-0 win for Colchester United, in the second round of the Cup, just moments after U’s keeper Sam Walker had saved Aaron McLean’s penalty at the other end of the pitch.
The U’s have been handed a third round tie, away at Cardiff City.
Ex-West Ham star Moncur, who made the move from Upton Park to the U’s permanent last month, after an initial loan spell, is certainly making an impact at the League One club.
“It feels unreal to score the winner,” insisted Moncur.
You may also want to watch:
“You can’t really describe it, to be fair. And hopefully there will be a few more moments like that in my career.
“It’s up there with the best moments in my career, alongside playing for West Ham, because they are a massive club, but it’s definitely the most important goal that I have scored.
- 1 Map reveals raw sewage overflow into Suffolk rivers
- 2 Why is this Suffolk address on Covid lateral flow test boxes?
- 3 Woman has heart attack and dies in ambulance waiting for a hospital bed
- 4 Rail services affected after person hit by train
- 5 Kieron Dyer in hospital undergoing tests
- 6 Controversial north Essex village homes plan set for go-ahead
- 7 'It was gut wrenching' - Mum's Covid message after son, 12, hospitalised
- 8 Hundreds of calls, fighting off interest, a health scare and a missing man - how Town signed match-winner Celina this summer
- 9 'It was a bit of a heavy weight' - Cook on Evans, Morsy and the Town captaincy
- 10 East Suffolk village garage to be rebuilt as part of homes plan
“The main thing now is taking that form into the league, and picking up some points.
“It was important to bounce back, after the 6-0 defeat at MK Dons. The lads showed great character, because it’s not easy to pick yourself up after such a drubbing. But the lads did just that,” added Moncur.
Moncur had special praise for keeper Walker, who pulled off a wonderful penalty save to keep out McLean’s 88th minute spot kick, when the score was still 0-0.
“Sam is a colossus. He is quality and I really rate him,” explained Moncur.
“He was unreal. It was a great save because, to be fair to the geezer (McLean), he hit it really well. He struck it bottom right, and Sam made a great save.
“And then to go up and nick it at the other end was fantastic, because after they were awarded the penalty, we would have taken a replay.
“Obviously I’m over the moon with the result, and also scoring the winner. We had not been having the best run in the league, but this has lifted the players and the fans.
“That’s football for you! A penalty save at one end, and then up the other end to nick the winner. It’s great.”