‘It was a pretty tight decision’ – Kayode Odejayi
KAYODE Odejayi had a straight choice – Colchester United or Rotherham – but it was far from clear-cut.
Target man Odejayi, crowned the U’s player-of-the-season only last month, opted to sign for the Millers on Tuesday after a few weeks of quiet contemplation.
Even though he could have delayed making his final decision until later in the summer, the 30-year-old had other priorities as well. Namely, the small matter of getting married!
“It was a pretty tight decision,” revealed Odejayi, following his switch to League Two outfit Rotherham.
“Colchester had offered me a new deal, and Rotherham manager Steve Evans had been in touch with me a few weeks before.
You may also want to watch:
“There were a few other enquiries as well, from other clubs, but the only concrete offers were from Colchester and Rotherham.
“In the end it was a very tough decision, because there was not a lot in it, between the two clubs.
- 1 MoD warns about late-night Apache training
- 2 Couple to bring 'family feel' to Sudbury pub
- 3 US jets to practice flypast over Suffolk this morning
- 4 Covid vaccine boosters now available at walk in sessions
- 5 Suffolk man admits owning more than 25,000 indecent images of children
- 6 Man dies after being struck by lorry near A12
- 7 New fishmonger shop opens in Suffolk market town
- 8 'Anywhere I can help I will' - Peter Reid joins Town in consultancy role
- 9 Tribute to Kaine, 24, at estate's new underpass mural
- 10 Former policeman to appear in court accused of rape
“But when push came to shove, I decided to sign for Rotherham. It has certainly not been a snap decision, even though I have made it so early in the summer,” added Odejayi.
Ex-Bristol City and Cheltenham striker Odejayi will not take long to settle into his new surroundings.
Not only did he spend three seasons at Rotherham’s South Yorkshire rivals, Barnsley, before his switch to Colchester in 2009, but his partner Robyn also hails from this corner of the country, at nearby Sheffield.
“Family considerations were important,” admitted Odejayi.
“Robyn is from Sheffield, and we are getting married next month. Her family are all up there, so it will be easier for us.
“However, there were footballing reasons as well. Rotherham may be in a lower division, but they are very ambitious.
“They want to go as high as they can, and they are moving into a new stadium for next season (New York Stadium).
“They also signed Daniel Nardiello (from Exeter) last week, a player I also played alongside when I was at Barnsley.
“So I think I’ve made the right decision, at this stage of my career,” added 30-year-old Odejayi.