ITFC v Derby – Do you remember the 4-4 draw which bucked these sides’ head-to-head trend?
Ipswich Town face Derby County this evening, a side that has for the last few season been one of the Blues’ competitors for a top six spot in the Championship.
That might explain why the last four games between the pair have seen three 1-0 wins (two for Derby, one for Town) and a 1-1 draw.
However fans might remember the first meeting of the sides in the 2013/14 season.
It was another Tuesday night game, on October 1, and away side Ipswich raced into a 1-3 lead within quarter of an hour.
Goals from Christophe Berra (7), Daryl Murphy (9) and Aaron Cresswell (14) saw Town dominate the opening stages with Zak Whitbread pulling one back for Derby in the 12th minute.
You may also want to watch:
Murphy took the half-time score to 1-4 with his second goal in the 34th minute, and all looked rosy for Mick McCarthy’s men.
But, Ipswich being Ipswich, everything seemed to unravel in the second half.
- 1 Family of hairdresser, 17, who died in her sleep 'overwhelmed' by tributes
- 2 Suffolk petrol stations avoid closure as garages shut nationwide
- 3 Don't panic buy - warning as queues form at petrol stations
- 4 Explained: What is causing the long queues at petrol stations?
- 5 'We've lost one or two from last week' - Cook reveals fresh injury set-back
- 6 Jailed company boss to sell home to repay swindled customers
- 7 'Complete waste of our money' - uproar over Santa's grotto
- 8 Road off A14 closed after serious collision
- 9 Cook believes Ipswich are 'biggest and best' club in League One
- 10 Ipswich mum 'eating junk food and take-aways' goes from size 22 to 12
First Craig Bryson made it 2-4 just two minutes after the restart, then 14 minutes later Jamie Ward reduced the deficit to a single goal.
Bryson popped up again in the 88th minute to level the scores at 4-4 and what should have been a nailed-on three points for the Blues ended up as one.
It was only the second time Ipswich v Derby produced an eight-goal match, the other being a 2-6 loss for home side Town in the old First Division in April 1976.
Overall though, in the 81 meetings between the two teams Ipswich have had the better fortune, recording 34 wins in all competitions to Derby’s 26.
Before that topsy-turvey game at the then-named Pride Park, things had been close between Ipswich and Derby for a while.
From the start of the 2008/09 Championship season up until that match (10 games), there had been four 1-0 wins, a nil-nil draw and two 2-1 wins.