Jabo Ibehre on target as Colchester United share four goals at Luton
- Credit: Sarah Lucy brown
Luton Town 2 Colchester United 2
Jabo Ibehre scored the second goal, and played a big part in the first, as Colchester United drew their latest pre-season friendly 2-2 at Luton Town tonght.
Ibehre’s 29th minute shot was turned into his own net by Paul Connolly, for the U’s equaliser, and Ibehre then chipped onrushing keeper Elliot Justham to put Joe Dunne’s men 2-1 up in the 51st minute.
Ex-Colchester United midfielder, Luke Guttridge, clambered off the bench to net an equaliser for the Hatters with 21 minutes remaining.
Earlier, Luton were the most likely scorers in the first quarter of the game, in what was a cagey start. The U’s were without the injured trio of Dan Holman (ankle), Marcus Bean (knee) and David Wright (Achilles).
You may also want to watch:
In fact, only the woodwork prevented the Hatters from taking a 16th minute lead. Poor defending from a set piece – a problem issue for the U’s in pre-season – resulted in Fraser Franks’ header hitting the post from Balanta’s free-kick.
The visitors threatened on the break, not least when Freddie Sears released Drey Wright with an accurate cross-field ball on 23 minutes. Wright, though, could not direct his shot past keeper Justham.
- 1 Eagle-eyed plane spotter saves pilot's life
- 2 How bride paid £1 for vintage wedding dress
- 3 Popular Southwold fish and chip shop for sale for £850k
- 4 Machinery to be sold following the loss of 'passionate' farmer
- 5 How the Ipswich Town players performed in their friendly clash with Crystal Palace
- 6 Andy Angles: Five observations following Town's clash with Crystal Palace
- 7 'It's gone crazy' - Boss of Town's promotion rivals on League One spending
- 8 7 pretty villages in Suffolk
- 9 Incredible aerial photos show scale of Latitude Festival
- 10 Mapped: Check the Covid rate in your Suffolk neighbourhood
Three minutes later and Luton, back in the Football League after winning the Conference title last season, took the lead.
Sam Walker had blocked an initial effort by Ross Lafayette, but seconds later Cullen was able to bury his shot from close range.
However, the U’s were level just before the half-hour mark, when Connolly could only turn Ibehre’s shot into his net for an own goal.
Ibehre then scored himself, six minutes into the second period, to put the U’s 2-1 up. The big man benefited from Sears’ fine through ball, chipping onrushing keeper Justham.
Ex-Colchester midfielder Guttridge, on as a 67th minute substitute, scored with his very first touch to equalise for Luton on 69 minutes. His angled drive found the back of the net.
COLCHESTER: Walker, Clohessy, Okuonghae, Eastman, Gordon, Eastmond (sub Lapslie, 70), Moncur, Massey (sub Watt, 46), Sears (sub Szmodics, 70), Drey Wright (sub Vose, 46), Ibehre (sub Bonne, 70).