‘It’s been a long time coming’ - Lankester excited to return to action
- Credit: Archant
Young forward Jack Lankester is excited to be back in action after returning from a long-term back problem.
The 20-year-old missed the entirety of last season after suffering a second stress fracture in his back during the Blues’ 2019 tour of Germany, having initially picked up the injury in January of that year.
But he’s been cleared for training since April and is said to have impressed during Town’s early weeks of training, before playing in the second of the club’s two friendly victories at Colchester United on Tuesday night.
“It’s been a long time coming,” Lankester told the club website.
“The hard work that you put in when you’re injured - it all comes down to being back out there with the boys and playing some football.
You may also want to watch:
“All of these games are physical because people have been waiting so long to play. It was high intensity but we were all expecting it so I think we done pretty well in dealing with it.
“I missed last season but that’s all in the past now. From day one I was with the boys and loved every minute of it. Working up to a game - I’ve missed that feeling.
- 1 Family of hairdresser, 17, who died in her sleep 'overwhelmed' by tributes
- 2 Suffolk petrol stations avoid closure as garages shut nationwide
- 3 Don't panic buy - warning as queues form at petrol stations
- 4 Explained: What is causing the long queues at petrol stations?
- 5 'We've lost one or two from last week' - Cook reveals fresh injury set-back
- 6 Jailed company boss to sell home to repay swindled customers
- 7 'Complete waste of our money' - uproar over Santa's grotto
- 8 Road off A14 closed after serious collision
- 9 Cook believes Ipswich are 'biggest and best' club in League One
- 10 Ipswich mum 'eating junk food and take-aways' goes from size 22 to 12
“I think it definitely helped me coming back in the small groups in pre-season. It gave me a bit of extra time to get up to that level where other people were.”
Lankester’s next outing is likely to come tomorrow, when Town travel to Premier League side Tottenham.