‘I’m fit, sharp and ready to get out there’ - Ipswich Town complete loan signing of Villa defender Bree
- Credit: Archant
Ipswich Town have completed the loan signing of Aston Villa right-back James Bree.
The 21-year-old moves on loan to Portman Road until the end of the season, taking Ipswich’s tally of loan players to six.
“It’s a great opportunity for me getting out on loan to a big club like this,” the 21-year-old told the cl;ub website.
“I’ve been involved with Villa a bit this season but not as much as I would have liked so I really want to be playing regular first-team football. Hopefully I can get that here and get back to the level I want to be at.
“There are some really good lads here and from the performances I’ve seen I know that there is quality in this team – hopefully we can show that to stay up.
You may also want to watch:
“It’s only been two weeks since I last played a proper game too. I’m feeling fit and sharp and I’m ready to get back out there.”
Bree has made 11 appearances for Villa this season, six coming in starts, but has found himself firmly behind Scotland international Alan Hutton in the pecking order at Villa Park.
- 1 Ed Sheeran hints at new tour dates and reveals favourite Suffolk beer
- 2 Two people rescued in four vehicle crash on A14
- 3 Three East Anglian curry houses make final of English Curry Awards
- 4 A14 to close following four vehicle crash
- 5 Former addict marries 'guardian angel' after years of 'hell'
- 6 7 of Suffolk's prettiest streets
- 7 From Blues to U's - how ex-Town stars are faring at Colchester
- 8 Former Town winger Finidi George gets first senior manager job
- 9 Towering views for royal on visit to see completed £4m Suffolk project
- 10 Numbers don't look good but there are turnarounds Town can take from
He joined Villa from Barnsley for a fee of £3million in 2017, having helped the Tykes win promotion from League One, and is contracted to the club until the summer of 2021.
He now moves to Portman Road, where he fills a right-back hole identified by Ipswich boss Paul Lambert soon after his arrival at the end of October.
Jordan Spence started at right-back in the first 12 games of Lambert’s reign before being dropped after the FA Cup defeat at Accrington, with Matthew Peninington taking over on the right side of the Town defence after switching from centre back.
It remains to be seen where Bree’s arrival leaves the on-loan Everton defender, with Everton and Ipswich understood to have held talks on Wednesday evening before ultimately deciding Pennington would remain at Portman Road.
Bree will wear the No.41 shirt at Portman Road.