Collins still training with Ipswich amid continued Aston Villa interest
- Credit: PA Archive/PA Images
Veteran central defender James Collins continues to train with Ipswich Town.
The free agent, who left West Ham at the end of last season, has been training with the Blues since last week as he continues to look for a new club.
The 35-year-old has been linked with a return to another of his former clubs, Aston Villa, with Steve Bruce’s men also keen to try and bring John Terry back to the club he captained in last season’s Championship play-off final.
But the former England skipper now looks set to move to Russia with Spartak Moscow, meaning Villa could step up a move for Collins.
The Telegraph reported at the weekend that Collins had been reluctant to enter into any formal agreement with the Blues as he waited to see if Villa’s interest became serious.
Speaking after the 1-1 draw with Norwich earlier this month, Ipswich manager Paul Hurst said of Collins: “We spoke to him last week and are due to have another conversation. I wouldn’t particularly rule it out.
You may also want to watch:
“It’s certainly not a case of him just coming in to sign paperwork, but it’s something we will look at.”
Ipswich had shown an interest in former club captain Gareth McAuley prior to his move to Rangers, before Matthew Pennington joined on loan from Everton prior to the loan window closing.
- 1 Matchday Recap: Plenty of positives despite Palace defeat
- 2 How bride paid £1 for vintage wedding dress
- 3 Eagle-eyed plane spotter saves pilot's life
- 4 5 places to avoid the crowds in Suffolk this summer
- 5 Machinery to be sold following the loss of 'passionate' farmer
- 6 How the Ipswich Town players performed in their friendly clash with Crystal Palace
- 7 Ipswich Town 0 Crystal Palace 1: Zaha makes Town pay the penalty
- 8 Leisure centre closes after travellers park up on site
- 9 Town coach on Palace display, fans' return, transfer business and Evans' absence
- 10 7 pretty villages in Suffolk