Town set to sign defender Wilson after trial... so who should start in defence on opening day?
- Credit: Picture: Steve Waller
Ipswich Town are set to sign defender James Wilson following his trial with the club.
The 30-year-old linked up with the Blues after they returned from their pre-season tour of Germany, playing in the games against Colchester, Notts County and Cambridge United.
Wilson was a free agent after his contract at Lincoln was terminated earlier this year but is now set to sign a deal with the Blues. He is set to undergo a medical today before putting pen to paper in time to face Burton on Saturday.
Wilson's arrival comes at a time when the Blues are lacking bodies in the centre of defence, with Toto Nsiala injured and Luke Chambers serving a one-match ban on the opening day of the campaign.
That means Wilson could well make his debut at the Pirelli Stadium, with Luke Woolfenden his likely partner and Corrie Ndaba as back-up.
Manager Paul Lambert has also been casting an eye over former Walsall defender Jon Guthrie during pre-season, but it's Wilson who is set to be handed a deal.
Discussing Wilson earlier in pre-season, Lambert said: "He's not done anything during pre-season and we asked if we could have a look at him.
- 1 Matchday Live: Chaplin wins it as Town claim three points
- 2 World War Two-themed holiday accommodation plans at former airfield
- 3 9 forgotten pubs that were at the heart of their Suffolk towns
- 4 Ratings: How the Ipswich Town players performed in Stanley win
- 5 'It's an important win' - McKenna on 2-1 victory against Accrington
- 6 Ipswich Town 2-1 Accrington Stanley: Blues fight back to beat scrappy visitors
- 7 33-year-old found safe after police search
- 8 Stu says: Five observations following Town's 2-1 win v Accrington
- 9 Drug addict stole £7,000 from safe at auction house
- 10 Thatch roof of cottage 'fully alight' in village near Needham Market
"He did well when he came on but is miles short of match fitness, which he will probably admit himself, but is comfortable with the ball and has been a good player.
"His game and training time is really down.
"We had a very young team out there and I still think we need a little help. We've got a lot of players injured, big players so we still need to get two or three in if we can but it's not easy."
Wilson has played 234 career games with 100 of those coming for Oldham between 2014 and 2016. He then moved to Sheffield United and struggled with injury during that time, restricting him to just seven league appearances, before joining Lincoln in January 2018.
A broken ankle derailed much of his time at Sincil Bank, with the defender agreeing to terminate his contract weeks after the Imps sealed promotion to League One.