Jamie Cooke wins gold in junior pentathlon
JAMIE Cooke secured Great Britain’s third gold medal of the week after being crowned junior modern pentathlon world champion in Buenos Aires, Argentina.
The 20-year-old came from behind to pip Pavel Iliashenko and Alexander Nobis to the title.
Cooke had started the day with a poor display in the fencing and was 29th heading into the swim, but improved after that to secure victory.
“This is an amazing achievement, just fantastic,” said Cooke.
“I think this is my biggest achievement yet. I didn’t expect to win here today, especially after my fence - I just couldn’t get a hit.
You may also want to watch:
“My main goal at this event was to get experience for next year’s senior tour.”
- 1 13 Fire engines attend blaze at sugar beet factory
- 2 Hospital visits to be suspended due to Covid infection rise
- 3 A14 reopens after one person taken to hospital following crash
- 4 'Kind and gentle' retired Ipswich Hospital orthopaedic consultant dies
- 5 £1million beach village set for approval as part of resort regeneration
- 6 Where to find the cheapest petrol in Suffolk as prices hit all-time high
- 7 Winners and losers: Hollywood ending, Bersant is back, fans get their wish
- 8 Man indecently exposes himself to dog walker
- 9 Man in his 50s dies after head-on collision on A143
- 10 Drink driver found slumped at wheel after partying until 7am