Joe Garner reacts to debut winner in Ipswich Town victory over Birmingham City
- Credit: Picture: Steve Waller
Ipswich Town goal hero Joe Garner reflected on a successful afternoon for the Blues, as Mick McCarthy’s men got their Championship season off to the perfect start, following a 1-0 win over Birmingham City.
Garner got the only goal of the game, five minutes after the break, smashing home Jonas Knudsen’s left-wing cut-back from eight yards out.
The only sour note on the day was the injury picked up by Andre Dozzell. the England youth international sustaining a serious-looking knee injury towards the end of the first half.
After the game, Garner, a summer signing from Glasgow Rangers, said: “The lads played some good football overall. It’s always nice to score on your debut, but to pick up three points on the opening day is massive.
“It was a great ball in by Jonas, he’s got quality out there, and I managed to slide it in.”
You may also want to watch:
Garner and his team-mates responded well after last Saturday’s pre-season, 6-1 friendly thrashing at League One Charlton Athletic,
He added: “We spoke about that during the week, we had had a tough week in pre-season and you could say it was a wake-up call, but everything we did in pre-season was for today.”
- 1 Antiques Roadtrip star opens new Suffolk antiques shop
- 2 Stu says: Five observations following Ipswich Town's 3-0 loss at AFC Wimbledon
- 3 Driver flees after crashing into level crossing
- 4 'Our supporters are tired and bored of us' - Cook on 3-0 loss at AFC Wimbledon
- 5 'Complete negligence' - anger as sports clubs locked out of playing fields
- 6 Ipswich Town transfer rumour: Spurs loanee Parrott set to return to Blues next season
- 7 Cyclist dies after collision with car in Bury St Edmunds
- 8 Cafe owner 'very emotional' after mystery customer leaves £500 for staff
- 9 Driver who killed 'dearly loved' man, 29, in crash is jailed
- 10 Witnesses sought after four-vehicle crash in east Suffolk
Asked if that was the first time he had scored on his debut, the striker quipped: “I don’t know, I have had that many clubs, but it was nice to score and three points are massive.”