Joe Garner scores twice as Ipswich Town beat Southend United in behind-closed-doors friendly
- Credit: Archant
Summer signing Joe Garner scored twice as Ipswich Town beat Southend United 4-1 in a behind-closed-doors friendly at Playford Road.
Garner – a £750k recruit from Rangers – netted his first after a direct run and emphatic finish, then fired in off the underside of the bar following Josh Emmanuel’s pull-back.
The 29-year-old has now scored three goals in his first two outings in a Blues shirt following a late strike in last Saturday’s 5-0 win at Irish side Drogheda United.
Mick McCarthy once again fielded a different side in each half. After Garner’s brace, Dru Yearwood halved the deficit for the League One visitors before second-half strikes from Freddie Sears and Conor McKendry sealed Town’s victory.
Tommy Smith and Monty Patterson, who had been given additional time off having recently been on international duty with New Zealand, were both involved, as was transfer-listed midfielder Kevin Bru, who missed last week’s training camp in Ireland through injury.
You may also want to watch:
Town’s pre-season campaign continues at Peterborough United next Tuesday – that fixture comprising of two games of 60 minutes, the first kicking off at 7pm.
Away friendlies against Gillingham (Sat, July 22), Colchester (Tues, July 25) and Charlton (Sat, Jul 29) follow, with Ipswich then hosting Birmingham City in their Championship opener on August 5.
- 2 Woman arrested on suspicion of drink-driving following A14 crash
- 3 Serious crash closes road in Bury St Edmunds near A14
- 4 Woodbridge community 'saddened' after couple found dead by police
- 5 'You either deliver or you leave' - Cook's message to Town players
- 6 Murder-suicide probe after couple found dead in Woodbridge
- 7 Ipswich Town closing in on appointment of new chief executive
- 8 'Buzz' about town as pub prepares to reopen under new family management
- 9 How busy was Bury St Edmunds town centre as lockdown eased?
- 10 Disused village Post Office reopening as deli and coffee house