John Louis confirms where Witches plan to be in 2011
SPEEDWAY: Ipswich Witches promoter John Louis today revealed that the club’s future should remain in the Elite League.
The Witches take on Premier League Newcastle Diamonds in the promotion/relegation play-off final second leg at Foxhall Stadium tonight (start 7.30pm).
An aggregate win for the Suffolk-based side will confirm their place in the 2011 Sky Sports Elite League.
Louis confirmed that he doesn’t foresee any moves by the club to make an application to join the Premier League regardless of tonight’s result.
“We are committed to be where we are,” said Louis, who has been promoter since 1989 and first rode for the club in the Sixties.
You may also want to watch:
“But it is no secret that with a couple or so other clubs we will be looking at ways of making some improvements to the Elite League next year.
“It would be nice to see a more even set-up and with two or three more clubs as well as having a commitment from riders to appear in every meeting.”
- 1 Matchday Recap: Aluko brace not enough as Blues draw at Cambridge
- 2 Covid vaccine boosters now available at walk in sessions
- 3 The places with the highest and lowest levels of Covid in Suffolk
- 4 Have you had the 'worst cold ever' that is going round Suffolk?
- 5 'I'll never shut up shop' - Cook on 2-2 draw at Cambridge United
- 6 New fishmonger shop opens in Suffolk market town
- 7 New details emerge about diesel spill which closed A14 for 12 hours
- 8 Ratings: How the Ipswich Town players performed in their 2-2 Cambridge draw
- 9 MoD warns about late-night Apache training
- 10 Cambridge United 2-2 Ipswich Town: Blues let their lead slip again in draw
The combined points limit is expected to go up to 45 points next year giving clubs more scope to bring in top riders with all decisions to be decided at the annual promoters’ conference next month.
“There is no secret this season has gone pear shaped,” added Louis.
“But we plan to end on a high although it will not be easy tonight.
“We have two riders who damaged themselves and their machinery in the first leg on Sunday while our smooth fair track will suit the two young Danes in the Newcastle side – Kenni Larsen and Rene Bach.”