John Ward angry that Bournemouth’s goal was allowed to stand
JOHN Ward has very unhappy with Bournemouth’s controversial opening goal, which smacked of offside, during today’s 1-1 draw on the Dorset coast.
Shaun MacDonald netted on 11 minutes, but only after the U’s defence had stopped in their tracks waiting for an offside flag against Wes Thomas, who was clearly standing offside and hovering over the ball.
But at least Tom Eastman netted his second goal in three minutes, with an 83rd minute equaliser, to salvage a draw for the U’s.
“I’m not relieved about our equaliser. Rather, we deserved it!” insisted Ward.
“We marshalled the second half and were very strong. We fell behind to a disputed goal and we showed a lot of character because we could have wobbled at that point.
You may also want to watch:
“We could have let that goal affect us, but we stood firm,” added Ward.
Referring to Bournemouth’s goal, Ward said: “We feel that there were one or two unjust areas in the scoring of their goal.
- 1 Family forced to live in tent after maggots and rats found in home
- 2 'There are a million pundits... it becomes tedious' - Cook on Portsmouth trip
- 3 Four men arrested after man dies at Felixstowe lorry park
- 4 Car stranded in ditch after crash near Bury St Edmunds
- 5 3,000 children test positive for Covid in Suffolk over 10 day period
- 6 The Suffolk pub serving a gourmet Sunday lunch three days a week
- 7 Ipswich in shock after waterfront sexual assault
- 8 Suspected drink driver arrested after cyclist killed in collision
- 9 The places with the highest and lowest levels of Covid in Suffolk
- 10 Framlingham taxi driver lives double life as Chateau Diaries star
“There was a player (Thomas) in an offside position. He’s two yards ahead of my back four. He goes to play the ball and then leaves it, because there is another player (MacDonald) who is not offside who comes into position.
“Therefore there’s six reasons why he should be given offside, and one where he is not.
“The bottom line is he (Thomas) is in the penalty box and he’s in an offside position, and we are looking for a flag that did not come,” added Ward.