John Ward foresees “stumbling block” in Redknapp appointment
COLCHESTER United boss John Ward can see a major “stumbling block” in Harry Redknapp taking over as the new England boss.
Speaking at this morning U’s press conference, ahead of this Saturday’s away game at Walsall, Ward reflected on the overnight news of Fabio Capello’s resignation, and Redknapp being installed as the hot favourite to succeed him on the national hot-seat.
Ward explained: “I knew all the newspaper talk about the possibility of the England manager resigning, but even then, when it happened I was surprised by it.
“Now it has sunk in that it has happened, there is this furore about Harry Redknapp.
“But people are forgetting that he is still contracted at Tottenham Hotspur, and I think that’s going to be a major stumbling block.
You may also want to watch:
“Tottenham won’t want to release him. Even with compensation, why would they?
“And the chances are he would want to take his staff with him as well, because there will be no staff at the England set-up.
- 1 Engineers repair water main which flooded A14 roundabout
- 2 Caravan owners furious after park suddenly blocks sales of properties
- 3 Matchday Recap: Blues cruise to victory at Fratton Park
- 4 Portsmouth 0-4 Ipswich Town: Blues deliver Cook's biggest win as boss
- 5 Former Suffolk school leaders found guilty of professional misconduct
- 6 'Our most complete performance of the season' - Cook on 4-0 win at Portsmouth
- 7 Family pay tribute to former Suffolk headteacher who has passed away
- 8 The Suffolk pub serving a gourmet Sunday lunch three days a week
- 9 Ratings: How the Ipswich Town players performed in their 4-0 win at Pompey
- 10 Framlingham taxi driver lives double life as Chateau Diaries star
“So there is a bigger situation than what people realise,” added Ward.
Meanwhile, with heavy snow forecast in the midlands tonight, the U’s game at the Bescot Stadium on Saturday could be a major doubt.