John Ward laments U’s record home league defeat
COLCHESTER United boss John Ward, clearly hurt by yesterday afternoon’s soul-destroying 6-1 home defeat, a club record, admitted that his side were “out-fought” and “out-desired” by impressive Stevenage.
COLCHESTER United boss John Ward, clearly hurt by yesterday afternoon’s soul-destroying 6-1 home defeat, admitted that his side were “out-fought” and “out-desired” by impressive Stevenage.
Just over a month after witnessing his side’s 5-1 capitulation, at the hands of MK Dons, so Ward had to endure another miserable afternoon on home turf.
“The best team has won the game,” confessed Ward.
“They have out-fought us and out-desired us, and we are very disappointed in the way in which we have gone about the game.
You may also want to watch:
“I have to take my hat off to Stevenage. I think they put on a fantastic performance. They are a very strong and well-organised side, and they took their chances extremely well.
“They got six goals as their reward, so it’s a fantastic day for them, but equally it’s a disappointing day for us.
- 1 Matchday Live: Town beaten 3-0 after Harrop's red card
- 2 Cyclist dies after collision with car in Bury St Edmunds
- 3 Ipswich Town closing in on appointment of new chief executive
- 4 Cafe owner 'very emotional' after mystery customer leaves £500 for staff
- 5 'Buzz' about town as pub prepares to reopen under new family management
- 6 Woman arrested on suspicion of drink-driving following A14 crash
- 7 Serious crash closes road in Bury St Edmunds near A14
- 8 'Our supporters are tired and bored of us' - Cook on 3-0 loss at AFC Wimbledon
- 9 Antiques Roadtrip star opens new Suffolk antiques shop
“At 2-1, we were on course to come back into the game, to try and get ourselves a positive result.
“It’s not so much conceding the third goal that worried me. It’s afterwards where I’ve seen one or two heads drop and shoulders droop.
“That’s the biggest disappointment for me, because that shouldn’t happen to us or to anyone.
“We have to deal with these disappointments. We are out on show to give Colchester people a better afternoon than what we have given them,” added Ward.