John Ward puts other contracts talk on back-burner
COLCHESTER United will play their seventh game of a nine-game March, when they entertain sixth-placed Carlisle United tomorrow.
It is a huge game for the U’s, and arguably their biggest of the season.
A win would nudge John Ward’s men to within three points of the play-offs, whereas a defeat would leave them a distant nine points off the top six.
Such a fixture pile-up has forced Ward to put all talk of contracts on hold, even though 15 of his senior squad are out of contract this summer.
The one exception has been Karl Duguid, who yesterday signed a new deal keeping him with the U’s until the end of next season.
Ward explained: “Offers have been made already, to six or seven players.
“But what I’ve decided to do is to leave that alone for this month, because it’s been busy in terms of games. Every day you’re preparing for a game or recovering from another.
- 1 No timescale for when Suffolk road closed due to flooding can reopen
- 2 Fire breaks out at British Sugar Factory
- 3 Case of new Omicron Covid variant identified in Essex
- 4 Snow possible overnight as 50mph gusts set to arrive in Suffolk
- 5 Nearly 150 homes to go on land no longer needed for jobs
- 6 'Ipswich did so much for me' - Knight excited for Town return with Crewe after dream Manchester City move
- 7 Face masks to be compulsory in shops and public transport, PM announces
- 8 More than 20 drivers caught at speeds of 100mph on A14 within an hour
- 9 Hitchhiker died after being hit by lorry wing mirror on A143
- 10 Dispersal order put in place for coastal town
“But by the time April comes, we will start looking at that a little closer.”