Jonny Williams is ITFC’s first transfer deadline day signing – are there more on the way?
- Credit: Picture: Steve Waller
It’s a day football fans across the country usually get very excited about – transfer deadline day.
It signals the close of the transfer market until the start of next year and usually involves big names, big money and big hype.
But usually for Ipswich Town fans transfer deadline day is rather quiet – Mick McCarthy likes to try and get his deals done nice and early in the window.
Today though things have changed – the end of the emergency loan windows, where Football League clubs could sign players on 93 day deals, means today is the last day to snap up anyone (permanently or on loan) who isn’t a free agent until the next transfer window.
Those deals yesterday have now been followed up with at least one more today.
Former loanee Jonny Williams has returned to Portman Road (again) from Crystal Palace on a season-long loan.
You may also want to watch:
The creative midfielder was a fans favourite in his previous spells at Portman Road and played well when called upon by Wales as part of their Euro 2016 squad which reached the tournament’s semi-finals.
Town are also expected to bring in another striker and has fans on social media frantically refreshing their screens waiting to find out.
- 1 More Suffolk petrol stations closed as PM plans action
- 2 Blaze spreads from classic car to bungalow next door
- 3 Lorry drivers being offered up to £60,000 and other bonuses as shortage bites
- 4 Explained: What is causing the long queues at petrol stations?
- 5 How it all unfolded: Town grab late point against Owls in bizarre fashion
- 6 Tankers on their way to Suffolk as the government unveils action plan
- 7 Two arrested after man dies in crash
- 8 Stu says: Five observations following Ipswich's 1-1 draw with Sheffield Wednesday
- 9 Match Ratings: How Town players performed against Wednesday
- 10 Ipswich Town 1 Sheffield Wednesday 1: Late Chaplin goal grabs Town a point
The latest rumour involves Danish former Arsenal star Nicklas Bendtner potentially making the move to Portman Road.
Outgoing moves are also possible to – there is reportedly some interest in Freddie Sears being shared on Twitter and Cameron Stewart has already left the club by mutual consent.
And there are also moves definitely not happening – for example a £1million bid for Barnsley striker Marley Watkins was turned down and Town have ended their interest in him as a result.
But all of that could change. It is transfer deadline day after all.