Former Ipswich striker Rhodes poised to complete Norwich loan switch
- Credit: Paul Chesterton/Focus Images Ltd
Former Ipswich Town youngster Jordan Rhodes is closing in on a loan switch to rivals Norwich City, reports say.
The Canaries have been heavily linked with the former Ipswich striker for the majority of the summer, with current club Sheffield Wednesday desperate to get the 28-year-old off their wage bill in order to begin their own summer transfer activity.
And it’s now being reported that a season-long loan move to Norwich is close, after the Owls dropped their demands in terms of a loan fee for the striker who is though to be on £40,000 a week.
He is reported to be in Norfolk today for talks, a medical and to tie up the move.
The former Kesgrave High School pupil came through the youth ranks at Portman Road and was prolific in the youth and reserve sides before making 10 substitute appearances for the first team.
You may also want to watch:
However, former Blues manager Roy Keane decided he was surplus to requirements in 2009, selling him to Huddersfield for £350,000.
Since leaving Suffolk he has netted 187 goals in 419 games and has commanded more than £25million in transfer fees, as well as winning 14 caps for Scotland.
- 1 Family of hairdresser, 17, who died in her sleep 'overwhelmed' by tributes
- 2 Don't panic buy - warning as queues form at petrol stations
- 3 Suffolk petrol stations avoid closure as garages shut nationwide
- 4 'Complete waste of our money' - uproar over Santa's grotto
- 5 'We've lost one or two from last week' - Cook reveals fresh injury set-back
- 6 Jailed company boss to sell home to repay swindled customers
- 7 Explained: What is causing the long queues at petrol stations?
- 8 Ipswich mum 'eating junk food and take-aways' goes from size 22 to 12
- 9 Road off A14 closed after serious collision
- 10 More police mistakes in case of 'bubbly and funny' Emma who fell from window
His most prolfic spells came at Huddersfield (87 goals in 148 games) and Blackburn (85 in 169), but he has found the going a little more tough of late.
Since joining Middlesbrough in February 2016 he has played just 79 games and has managed just 16 goals, only scoring five Championship goals for Wednesday last season.
Speaking back in December 2013, Rhodes said: “I’m still an Ipswich fan, I’m one of them. Never for one moment did I ever want to leave Ipswich Town.”
Portman Road hosts the first East Anglian derby of the season on Sunday, September 2.