Junior Suffolk Thai boxers do battle in Birmingham
A TRIO of junior Thai boxers from Bury St Edmunds tested their mettle in Birmingham at the recent K-Star Gym junior competition.
Joe Le Maire, 12, defeated the talented Ashley Harris from Minotaurs Gym in Middlesex with an incredibly high work-rate.
Le Maire simply didn’t let Harris into the fight, maintaining relentless pressure and landing multiple kicks without answer. Le Maire displayed both excellent technique and unrivalled fitness to claim his first win.
Nathan Patesel, 11, was beaten by the more experienced Luke Christopher from Birmingham’s K-Star Gym, in a fight that saw Patesel starting slowly, but settle in the latter rounds to produce some strong work.
It was too little too late for Patesel, but offered a good learning opportunity for the young boxer.
You may also want to watch:
Finally, courageous Hannah Turner, 10, lost out to an older foe from K-Star.
Her opponent scored early success with heavy low kicks, punishing Turner’s undefended lead leg.
- 1 Suffolk actress Helen McCrory dies following cancer battle
- 2 'I will be like Demolition Man... there will be a lot of pain' - Cook on his Town squad overhaul
- 3 Frustrated Suffolk farmer returns dumped items to householders
- 4 Rise in number of Covid patients in Suffolk and north Essex hospitals
- 5 12 villages set to receive some of UK's fastest ever broadband
- 6 Death of 'loving' Suffolk woman in crash was 'unmitigated tragedy'
- 7 'He goes with our best wishes' - Cook confirms Judge will leave Town
- 8 Mum-of-three who devoted her life to hospice shop dies of heart attack
- 9 'I've just been completely average' - Town star Woolfenden on his season and Town's struggles
- 10 Next steps outlined for decision on A12 traffic light plans
The Bury fighter gallantly continued to fight and even claimed the upper hand in the final round with a block and return counter kick strategy but ultimately lost the decision.
The trio all train at the Unit One Combat Sports Gym in Bury.
Don Heatrick, Thai boxing coach, said: “Our juniors are new to the competition circuit and are learning rapidly how hard they have to train to be successful.
“They are always at the gym working very hard – putting most of the adults to shame.”
- For more information visit www.unit1gym.com, call 01284 760468 or visit the gym in Kempson Way, Bury.