Keane is ready to splash the cash
IPSWICH Town boss Roy Keane is ready to splash the cash in the transfer market over the coming weeks.With his players starting pre-season training at a sun-soaked Playford Road this morning, Keane admitted that two signings were imminent, while he would be looking to add another two or three on top of that before the season's big kick-off.
IPSWICH Town boss Roy Keane is ready to splash the cash in the transfer market over the coming weeks.
With his players starting pre-season training at a sun-soaked Playford Road this morning, Keane admitted that two signings were imminent, while he would be looking to add another two or three on top of that before the season's big kick-off.
And promisingly for Town fans the Irishman doesn't appear to be on a tight budget.
You may also want to watch:
He said: “We've probably been linked with 50 or 60 players over the last few weeks and it would be unfair of me to talk about players until they've signed.
“I hope, in time, to bring in maybe four or five. We are close with two and there will be hopefully be another two or three over the next two weeks.
- 1 Ed Sheeran hints at new tour dates and reveals favourite Suffolk beer
- 2 Three East Anglian curry houses make final of English Curry Awards
- 3 Two people rescued in four vehicle crash on A14
- 4 A14 to close following four vehicle crash
- 5 Former addict marries 'guardian angel' after years of 'hell'
- 6 From Blues to U's - how ex-Town stars are faring at Colchester
- 7 7 of Suffolk's prettiest streets
- 8 Towering views for royal on visit to see completed £4m Suffolk project
- 9 'It was horrific': Grandmother stuck abroad after 40ft castle fall
- 10 Former Town winger Finidi George gets first senior manager job
“The fun and games will start over the next few weeks when managers get back to their clubs and take stock of what they've got. It's (transfer market) quite difficult these days with the transfer fees that are mentioned but if you want quality you've got to pay for it.”
With new signing Troy Brown - an 18-year-old Welsh defender who has joined from Fulham - joining in training with his new team mates, Keane went on to outline:
- How EVERY player in his squad is in contention for Ipswich's opening Championship game against Coventry.
- That he wants his squad far fitter and stronger than last season.
- There is 'a long way to go' regarding the potential signing of Manchester United youngster Lee Martin.
- That he has 'taken a gamble' on some of the one-year contract extensions handed out.
- While he reiterated his desire to get the club into the Premier League 'sooner rather than later'.
To hear more from Roy Keane's pre-season training press conference, see tomorrow's EADT.