Short memories of last season... Of course we should play Blackpool... Mike Bacon on the Blues
In his weekly column, MIKE BACON takes a look at the happenings at Portman Road
Well, I don’t know about you, but I’m glad Town have a game on Saturday.
Four unbeaten and third in the table, why on earth would you want to halt any momentum in its tracks?
I’ve heard some Town fans say we should take advantage of a weekend off. Why?
OK, so we’ve got a few injuries. But so have all clubs.
You may also want to watch:
Who is to say if we don’t play Blackpool this weekend and head back to the north-west on a wet and cold Tuesday night in February, we won’t have injuries then? Or be out of form? Or have suspensions?
Blackpool have won one of their first four, we have won three of our first four. Why would you not want to play them?
- 1 Controversial north Essex village homes plan set for go-ahead
- 2 Map reveals raw sewage overflow into Suffolk rivers
- 3 Woman has heart attack and dies in ambulance waiting for a hospital bed
- 4 'The culture is right' - Johnson leaves Town in good hands after whirlwind trip
- 5 £1million beach village set for approval as part of resort regeneration
- 6 Hospital visits to be suspended due to Covid infection rise
- 7 Emergency services conduct search and rescue mission off Harwich coast
- 8 Why is this Suffolk address on Covid lateral flow test boxes?
- 9 Affordable homes project proposed for east Suffolk village
- 10 Town keeper Holy set for emergency loan move
Everyone keeps saying we have a big squad, well we’ll have to use it then!
I know it’s been a tough few years/decade! But if we are going to get out of League One, then positivity is key - and right now, we should be positive after the start Lambo’s team have made to the season. We have to believe.
The thing is, we make football so complicated.
Just play and keep playing, either to get yourself out of a sticky run, or to continue the decent run you are on.
Last season, having games called off because of international commitments halted Town slap, bang in their stride. There were times we were cruising along nicely, only for us to call games off because we had players away.
OK, so this time it’s not us who was calling the game off, but Charlton.
But come on, we’re unbeaten, momentum is all. Get that spare date fixed up with a game, as we have done.
I’m not suggesting we are flying and thrashing everyone in our wake - but wins are wins aren’t they?
Even at MK Dons with 10 men for so long we grabbed a point - as Alan Judge said after the match, “Last year we maybe would have lost that game.”
Of course we’d love Flynn Downes to be fit and starting. Of course we’d love KVY fit and raring to go. But how long’s a piece of string? Who might be injured next week? Who might be sold next month?
I was a huge critic of us calling games off last season and I stick by that. I think I was proved right. We lost momentum on a host of occasions because we had three players away on international duty, so called games off.
Of course we could lose at Blackpool, but surely its better to be going there on a run of four unbeaten, isn’t it?
I know, if we do lose all the ‘we told you so’ brigade will be out in force.
And if we win... ah well, silence will be golden!