‘We are still in it’ – Kent and Eastman give their reactions to U’s big win
- Credit: Picture: Steve Waller
Here is the reaction from players and both managers following Saturday’s rip-roaring 2-0 victory for the play-off chasing U’s, over top three contenders MK Dons.
U’s centre-halves Frankie Kent and Tom Eastman both delivered top-notch displays, while managers John McGreal and Paul Tisdale agreed with the final outcome.
Goalscorer Frankie Kent: “I really enjoyed that game, I loved it, and so did all the boys. We knew we had a tough game today and we knew that we had a job to do. Thankfully we have done it, and it was nice to keep a clean-sheet as well.
“We know that we are a good team – we have said that all season – which is why it’s been disappointing those last couple of months, with the (poor) form that we have had.
“But we are still in it, and we’ll be giving it a real go next weekend.
You may also want to watch:
“With my goal, I had a break from the edge of the box. I just thought there was no one around here, so I kept going.
“I gave it to Frank (Nouble)and carried on running. Sam (Szmodics) did well to get it and luckily enough my shot went in. To be fair, there’s been a few better goals than that this season, and I got a bit lucky because the ball went through the geezer’s legs (keeper Lee Nicholls) I think.”
- 1 Matchday Recap: Town close out game to secure big win
- 2 Cook proud of players after Town hold on for elusive first win
- 3 Ratings: How the Ipswich Town players performed in their 1-0 Lincoln win
- 4 A14 blocked after three vehicle crash
- 5 Lincoln City 0-1 Ipswich Town: Bonne does the business as Blues earn first win
- 6 Major Lowestoft road partially closed due to police incident
- 7 Watch Town CEO Ashton wildly celebrate Lincoln win with Town fans
- 8 Stu says: Five observations following Ipswich's 1-0 win at Lincoln
- 9 The best roast dinners in Suffolk as chosen by our readers
- 10 Concerns as 12 Suffolk landfill sites could contain 'hazardous material'
Fellow centre-half Tom Eastman: “From the first whistle we played well, got the early goal and never looked like we would lose the game.
“It was a really positive performance from us. The early goal was a big boost, and we have usually gone on to do well in matches if we score first. It was perfect for us, to score early in both halves.
“It was a great defensive performance, and a great attacking performance as well. We could maybe have scored a few more goals, but we will take that 2-0 win.
U’s boss John McGreal: “This was a terrific all-round display. From minute one, we set our stall out, and Sammie (Szmodics) gave us a great start. I felt that we would get more opportunities, if we got the early goal, and so it proved because MK Dons needed the win as badly as we did.
“Courtney (Senior) is gutted in the dressing room that he has not scored today, but he got into some good areas and his pace was electric.
“At least this win has given us a chance next weekend,”
MK Dons boss Tisdale: “We didn’t seem to get any luck in our game today, although we possibly didn’t deserve to win. I’m not too downbeat.”