Kuqi could sign for Town today
SHEFFIELD Wednesday have agreed to let striker Shefki Kuqi join Ipswich Town initially on a free transfer, writes Derek Davis.Owls boss Chris Turner last night admitted the clubs have negotiated a deal which would allow the Finland striker to sign without a fee but Wednesday would pick up a bonus payment if Ipswich win promotion to the Premiership.
SHEFFIELD Wednesday have agreed to let striker Shefki Kuqi join Ipswich Town initially on a free transfer, writes Derek Davis.
Owls boss Chris Turner last night admitted the clubs have negotiated a deal which would allow the Finland striker to sign without a fee but Wednesday would pick up a bonus payment if Ipswich win promotion to the Premiership.
Turner said: "Something could possibly happen before the weekend. It's down to Shefki, his agent and Ipswich.
"I wouldn't disclose the transfer fee. I'm not saying he'd leave on a free transfer. There would be rewards for Sheffield Wednesday if he joined Ipswich, not necessarily immediately, but something would be in the offing."
You may also want to watch:
It was originally believed Town would have to pay around £150,000 for the Kosovan if they wanted to keep him after his three-month loan spell.
But Town manager Joe Royle has moved quickly to secure Kuqi, who has scored four goals for Ipswich since joining at the end of September and whose loan spell was due to end on Boxing Day.
- 1 Cook discusses Chambers' future after captain dropped at Charlton
- 2 'It was a tiny step forwards' - Cook on 0-0 draw at Charlton
- 3 Matchday Live: Updates as Town travel to The Valley to face Charlton
- 4 Suffolk actress Helen McCrory dies following cancer battle
- 5 Frustrated Suffolk farmer returns dumped items to householders
- 6 Missing Stowmarket man, 49, found safe and well
- 7 Shopper eschew Suffolk's smaller towns to hit Primark
- 8 Suffolk-born Royal Ballet choreographer Liam Scarlett dies
- 9 Blues ratings: How Town players performed in the draw at Charlton
- 10 Saturday drinkers queue for post-lockdown pints
Kuqi told the EADT earlier this week he was hoping to complete the move as soon as possible and the ball is now in his, and his agent's court.
Royle will hope to secure 27-year-old Kuqi's signature today after training.
Georges Santos remains a slight doubt for Town's trip to Cardiff City on Saturday after hurting a foot in the 3-0 win over his old club Sheffield United last Saturday. John McGreal is on stand-by.
Ian Westlake will get a run-out in training today to ensure he has recovered from a knock received in a tackle with Stuart McCall while Martijn Reuser is ruled out with a recurrence of a groin problem.
Pablo Counago is unlikely to be risked although he has made great strides in getting over a hamstring pull and should be ready for next week's trip to Nottingham Forest.