Kurtis Guthrie is not yet ready for a Colchester United return
- Credit: Picture: Steve Waller
Kurtis Guthrie is still not quite ready to return to the Colchester United first-team fold.
Front-runner Guthrie, signed from Forest Green Rovers last summer, netted 12 goals in an impressive first season with the U’s, from 33 league outings.
But the 24-year-old was sidelined by an ankle injury in March, which required an operation and ruled him out for the rest of the season.
Guthrie was hoping to be back for the start of his second campaign with the League Two U’s, but he looks like missing the first few games, at least in terms of starting matches.
Boss John McGreal revealed: “Kurtis (Guthrie) has got another week of strengthening.
You may also want to watch:
“Once this week is over, Kurtis should be back, but that’s why it was vital to strengthen in that centre forward area (striker Mikael Mandron signed from Wigan last week).
“So once Kurtis is back fit, it will be competitive for those striker positions,” added McGreal.
- 1 Suffolk enjoys warehousing boom as more businesses flock to region
- 2 A12 fully reopened after serious crash
- 3 Man left with cuts to his head after being bottled following fight in Suffolk town
- 4 Container ship that blocked Suez Canal due to arrive in Felixstowe
- 5 Woman dies in single car crash on A12 in Suffolk
- 6 Obsessed man thought barmaid was in love with him
- 7 People with these surnames in Suffolk could be owed a fortune
- 8 Long-serving parish clerk resigns from council hit by flaring tensions
- 9 Valley Ridge ski resort in jeopardy amid furious row over landfill site
- 10 Positives, negatives and plenty still to do - what we've learned from Town's pre-season
The U’s entertain Ipswich Town in a pre-season friendly this evening.