max temp: 10°C

min temp: 8°C

Kings of Anglia Issue 10 Magazine Offer

Lacklustre Sudbury can’t reproduce their FA Cup heroics as Egham come out on top

PUBLISHED: 11:23 30 September 2018 | UPDATED: 11:23 30 September 2018

Tom Maycock in action for Sudbury against Egham on Saturday Photo: CLIVE PEARSON

Tom Maycock in action for Sudbury against Egham on Saturday Photo: CLIVE PEARSON


AFC Sudbury 0 Egham Town 1

AFC Sudbury, the last surviving Suffolk non-league club in the FA Cup, bowed out of the FA Trophy at the first attempt, following their midweek cup heroics against Bognor Regis, writes John Campany

The Kings Marsh outfit were under strength, notably missing Callum Harrison and Phil Kelly through injuries.

They did however, welcome back Jordon Blackwell following his FA Cup suspension.

The Surrey visitors who play at the same level as their Suffolk hosts, but in the Bostik League South Central Division, deserved their passage into the next round, albeit by virtue of a 75th-minute penalty, having missed from the spot some minutes earlier.

Missing key players took it’s toll on Sudbury, and when manager Mark Morsley made a treble substitution on the hour, there were no fewer than seven academy players completing the remainder of the second half, that on this occasion, proved too much to overcome the ‘Sarnies’.

Sudbury’s performance in front of 226 fans was a great disappointment following the two memorable cup matches against Bognor Regis.

In fact this tie lacked passion, and for much of the time it was lacklustre.

There was a clear lacking of physicality, particularly following the substitutions, and this was most noticeable up front, although Tuesday’s hero, Mekhi McKenzie showed his undoubted potential, clearly a great prospect.

The match opened brightly with Blackwell volleying over and skipper Joe Whight’s free kick comfortably held by Xavier Comas Leon while home keeper Paul Walker was alert making a good early save from Sean McCormack.

Egham almost went ahead when Rhys Rabess lob was headed off the line by Tyler French.

The home side then had a great chance when Paul Hayes combined with Billy Holland whose cross picked out Ben Hunter who from an angle drove beyond the far post.

Blackwell then shot straight at the keeper and Tom Dettmar volleyed narrowly wide

Both sides at times, produced some intricate moves, but without looking likely to threaten and break the deadlock.

The nearest a goal came was when Kezie Ibe missed from the spot, but following another penalty award on 75 minutes Ashley Lodge made no mistake to settle the tie.

Mckenzie had a couple of difficult late chances, but the visitors were strong in defence to ensure victory.

Referee Mr Benjamin Bowles

Most Read

Most Read

Latest from the East Anglian Daily Times

Hot Jobs

Show Job Lists