Lambert is British Champion but King, Schlein and Nicholls miss out
- Credit: Archant
King’s Lynn ace Robert Lambert was crowned British Champion at Belle Vue’s Manchester track tonight.
The current British U-21 champion went through the night unbeaten, beating exciting teenager Dan Bewley into second place.
Craig Cook was third and Jason Garrity was fourth.
But there was disappointment for Ipswich Witches riders Danny King and Rory Schlein. Both won heats but in a tight, tense and exciting final, Schlein (9 points) and King (8) just missed out on a semi-final berth.
King, who was still carrying an arm injury, took a tumble in one of his races, but managed to pick himself up and win the re-run, although ultimately it wasn’t enough.
You may also want to watch:
Meanwhile Schlein’s fate was sealed by Dan Bewley’s heat 20 victory in the final qualifying race, as the young Belle Vue rider pipped the Ipswich man for the final semi-final place.
Seven-time British champion and Ipswich-born Scott Nicholls did reach the semi-finals, but couldn’t finish in the top two, so just missed out on a final place.
- 1 Matchday Recap: Town well beaten as Millwall win feisty friendly
- 2 Air ambulance called as tree falls on partygoers
- 3 Woman, 29, dies in crash with construction digger near A12
- 4 How the Ipswich Town players performed in their 3-0 loss to Millwall
- 5 Cook will be looking to complete the puzzle as Town host Millwall in dress rehearsal
- 6 Man jailed after dangerous dogs mauled sheep to death
- 8 Ipswich Town 0 Millwall 3: Town are well tamed by Lions
- 9 Biker injured in crash with car in south Suffolk
- 10 Jailed in Suffolk: The criminals put behind bars this week