‘We have to win them both... we need the support’ – Lambert on home clashes with Fleetwood and Coventry
Ipswich Town manager Paul Lambert concedes that his team need to win both of their home matches against Fleetwood and Coventry this week if they are to remain in the League One promotion mix.
Saturday's gut-wrenching 2-1 loss at Blackpool made it five defeats in seven for the free-falling Blues. In the space of little more than a month they have slipped from first to ninth, with the gap to the play-off places growing to five points heading into the remaining 10 games.
Fleetwood arrive at Portman Road tomorrow night placed eighth - three points ahead of Town with two games in hand - following a nine-game unbeaten run (W5 D4).
Coventry, who are in Suffolk on Saturday, are currently top following a 13 game unbeaten league run (W10 D3). Mark Robins' men have only lost three league games all season.
"We have to win them both," said Lambert. "If we do that we are right back in it, but we have to win them."
You may also want to watch:
On tomorrow night's clash with Fleetwood, who the Blues beat 1-0 back at the start of October, he added: "It's must win. They've done well, but we're at home and we have to win. The focus is we have to win the game. We can't afford to draw, we have to win.
"We have to just go for it. That's the way I always do it. That's the way my career was. I don't ever go out there for a draw and prioritise defence or anything like that. I want to win every game and that will always be with me. That will not leave."
- 1 Daylight dogging makes beauty spot 'no-go area'
- 2 Three East Anglian curry houses make final of English Curry Awards
- 3 'It was horrific': Grandmother stuck abroad after 40ft castle fall
- 4 'We have the quality to go on and win this league' - Burns calls upon fans to keep the faith
- 5 Five star cat hotel opens near Bury St Edmunds
- 6 Towering views for royal on visit to see completed £4m Suffolk project
- 7 'Keep the faith' - Town fans on poor start and what needs to change
- 8 From favourites to outsiders - odds on Town winning League One drift widely
- 9 Mike Bacon: Oh, what have we done to deserve this?
- 10 Woman who was found with maggots living in hand evicted from care home
With Blues fans having just started to voice their discontent in recent games, Lambert said: "I get the frustration. They travel all the hours and they were great again today (at Blackpool). I think they saw the team trying to do the right things and playing well, but were obviously disappointed at the end.
"We're still in it though. We need them, no two ways about it. We need their support."
IPSWICH TOWN FIXTURES
Tues 3 - Fleetwood (h)
Sat 7 - Coventry (h)
Sat 14 - Bristol Rovers (a)
Sat 21 - Portsmouth (h)
Sat 28 - FREE WEEKEND
Sat 4 - Southend (h)
Fri 10 - Bolton (h)
Mon 13 - Shrewsbury (a)
Sat 18 - Rochdale (h)
Sat 25 - Doncaster (a)
Sun 3 - MK Dons (h)