Late equaliser costs Braintree at home to Barrow

Braintree's Dan Sparkes is foiled by Joel Dixon in the Barrow goal

Braintree's Dan Sparkes is foiled by Joel Dixon in the Barrow goal - Credit: Archant

For the Iron this was two points dropped rather than a point gained at the Avanti Stadium on Saturday after they conceded a poor equaliser nine minutes from time leaving manager Dan Cowley “disappointed and frustrated.”

Having taken a deserved 56th minute lead through a superb Simeon Akinola strike from the edge of the area, the Iron paid the penalty for not adding to their lead as chances went begging before they allowed their Cumbrian visitors to grab a late equalising goal.

“I am disappointed that we didn’t build on that one goal lead because I felt we were well in control at that stage and created chances to have scored again but of course there’s always the danger of a side with such a slender lead being caught out late on and that’s what happened to us,” Cowley said.

“Failing to get that second goal is our Achilles heel at present and it’s something we have to work on and overcome.

“I can’t fault any of the players for their work rate and commitment but we must find the back of the net with more consistency.”

You may also want to watch:

Had it not been for a superb save by Iron keeper Will Norris a minute from normal time, denying substitute Dan Pilkington’s goal-bound shot, the Iron could have lost, which would have been a bitter pill to swallow as they had most of the control of the game, certainly in the second half.

“We know it’s tough at this level and you have to compete against teams like Barrow, who have now gone full-time and with fresh money behind them, but for us to do so well for such long periods and then concede a poor goal so late on is really annoying,” Cowley added.

Most Read

It was Pilkington who grabbed the visitors’ equaliser when he worked his way through an opening down the left in a moment of lack-lustre in the Iron midfield and defence to drive a low, left-foot shot into the far corner of the net giving Norris no chance.

The Iron should have had a penalty on 12 minutes when Chez Issac was hauled down in the area en-route to goal but referee Alan Young ignored all Iron appeals.

In a fairly even first half Chiedozie had the best chance early on when he rounded the advancing keeper Joel Dixon outside of his area but the young Iron striker fluffed his final ball towards goal.

The second half saw the Iron more in control and early on both Dan Sparks and Sean Marks saw goal-bound shots charged down at the last moment before being cleared.

Once in front the Iron gained more confidence and Akinola could have added a second but delayed his final shot too long and Kenny Davis, Isaac and even full-back Sam Habergham, pushing forward into the visitors’ area, planted his shot too high over the bar.

But there were a few unnecessary anxious moments for the Iron in the dying minutes after they had conceded that equaliser but in reality by then they should have been at least another couple of goals to the good and the game effectively over as a contest.

Next up for the Iron is a trip to Kent neighbours Dover Athletic tomorrow night.

Become a Supporter

This newspaper has been a central part of community life for many years. Our industry faces testing times, which is why we're asking for your support. Every contribution will help us continue to produce local journalism that makes a measurable difference to our community.

Become a Supporter
Comments powered by Disqus