Wright on target as U’s draw at Daggers
- Credit: Picture: Steve Waller
Dagenham & Redbridge 1 Colchester United 1
Diaz Wright netted a late equaliser in Colchester United’s 1-1 draw away at Dagenham & Redbridge tonight.
There were 84 minutes on the clock when midfielder Wright, who spent time on loan at Braintree Town last season, slotted home after being set up by some good work from Aaron Barnes and Aaron Collins.
The U’s, fresh from three pre-season wins on the bounce, away at Maldon & Tiptree, Braintree and Colwyn Bay, started brightly at Victoria Road.
Harry Pell, who was always a danger, fired over early on, while livewire Courtney Senior had a shot charged down.
You may also want to watch:
Mikael Mandron had scored five goals in the U’s first three friendlies, and he came close to netting his sixth of the pre-season campaign. He benefited from Pell’s precise pass, although his effort curled wide of target.
And it was the Daggers who took the lead, just after the mid-point of the first period.
- 1 Cook discusses Chambers' future after captain dropped at Charlton
- 2 'It was a tiny step forwards' - Cook on 0-0 draw at Charlton
- 3 Matchday Live: Updates as Town travel to The Valley to face Charlton
- 4 Missing Stowmarket man, 49, found safe and well
- 5 Shopper eschew Suffolk's smaller towns to hit Primark
- 6 Suffolk-born Royal Ballet choreographer Liam Scarlett dies
- 7 The 20 places in Suffolk that recorded the most coronavirus cases this week
- 8 Frustrated Suffolk farmer returns dumped items to householders
- 9 Stu says: Five observations following Ipswich Town's 0-0 draw at Charlton
- 10 Blues ratings: How Town players performed in the draw at Charlton
Keeper Dillon Barnes was penalised for handling outside his penalty area, and Michael Cheek made him pay by thumping home the ensuing free-kick.
The U’s tried to respond before half-time, Pell peppering the target with a header from Brennan Dickenson’s 35th minute corner which drifted wide.
Pell was on the attack again, early in the second half, heading narrowly over the top from Dickenson’s corner, and substitute Ollie Kensdale struck the bar with a header from another Dickenson set piece just after the hour mark.
Time was running out when Wright came up trumps with the equaliser.
Colchester United starting XI: D Barnes, Jackson, Lapslie, Prosser, Kent, Senior, Pell, Dickenson, Eastman, Mandron, Nouble.
Subs: Kensdale (61), Collins (61), Ogedi-Uzokwe (68), Gilmartin, James, A Barnes, Vincent-Young , Clampin, Comley, Wright & Gondoh (all 73).