Wright on target as U’s draw at Daggers
- Credit: Picture: Steve Waller
Dagenham & Redbridge 1 Colchester United 1
Diaz Wright netted a late equaliser in Colchester United’s 1-1 draw away at Dagenham & Redbridge tonight.
There were 84 minutes on the clock when midfielder Wright, who spent time on loan at Braintree Town last season, slotted home after being set up by some good work from Aaron Barnes and Aaron Collins.
The U’s, fresh from three pre-season wins on the bounce, away at Maldon & Tiptree, Braintree and Colwyn Bay, started brightly at Victoria Road.
Harry Pell, who was always a danger, fired over early on, while livewire Courtney Senior had a shot charged down.
Mikael Mandron had scored five goals in the U’s first three friendlies, and he came close to netting his sixth of the pre-season campaign. He benefited from Pell’s precise pass, although his effort curled wide of target.
And it was the Daggers who took the lead, just after the mid-point of the first period.
- 1 Glamping pods and shepherd huts proposed in holiday site expansion
- 2 Town reject bid for midfielder Fraser but no Matete move
- 3 Look inside 'immaculately presented' property with own bar and heated pool
- 4 Police apology after cars accidentally damaged by stinger device on A14
- 5 Ed Sheeran pays the most tax of any celebrity in the UK
- 6 'It is really sad': End of an era as popular pub landlords call time
- 7 Popular Sudbury bakery reveals aim to save town's post office
- 8 Ipswich Town sign Brentford full-back Thompson on loan
- 9 Suffolk entrepreneur Mike Lynch loses $5bn fraud case with Hewlett Packard
- 10 Parents’ fury as bouncy castle business leaves children in the lurch
Keeper Dillon Barnes was penalised for handling outside his penalty area, and Michael Cheek made him pay by thumping home the ensuing free-kick.
The U’s tried to respond before half-time, Pell peppering the target with a header from Brennan Dickenson’s 35th minute corner which drifted wide.
Pell was on the attack again, early in the second half, heading narrowly over the top from Dickenson’s corner, and substitute Ollie Kensdale struck the bar with a header from another Dickenson set piece just after the hour mark.
Time was running out when Wright came up trumps with the equaliser.
Colchester United starting XI: D Barnes, Jackson, Lapslie, Prosser, Kent, Senior, Pell, Dickenson, Eastman, Mandron, Nouble.
Subs: Kensdale (61), Collins (61), Ogedi-Uzokwe (68), Gilmartin, James, A Barnes, Vincent-Young , Clampin, Comley, Wright & Gondoh (all 73).