Late Moldova equaliser denies England
England Under-21 2 Moldova Under-21 2A GOAL five minutes from time denied England victory in their European Championship qualifier at Portman Road tonight.
England Under-21 2 Moldova Under-21 2
A GOAL five minutes from time denied England victory in their European Championship qualifier at Portman Road tonight.
The unmarked Theo Walcott had put England in front after just two minutes and 27 seconds on his Under-21 debut, heading home from a left-wing cross by Leighton Baines.
England did not deserve to be ahead at the interval as Moldova looked the better side for much of the opening period.
You may also want to watch:
Moldova equalised in the 75th minute when Steven Taylor lost possession and Serghei Alexeev beat Scott Carson with a shot just under the bar.
The visitors' joy was shortlived as England restored their lead within a minute, substitute Cameron Jerome supplying a deep cross to the far post where David Nugent headed down and into the roof of the net.
- 1 Matchday Live: Town beaten 3-0 after Harrop's red card
- 2 Cyclist dies after collision with car in Bury St Edmunds
- 3 Serious crash closes road in Bury St Edmunds near A14
- 4 Ipswich Town closing in on appointment of new chief executive
- 5 Woman arrested on suspicion of drink-driving following A14 crash
- 6 'Buzz' about town as pub prepares to reopen under new family management
- 7 Cafe owner 'very emotional' after mystery customer leaves £500 for staff
- 8 'Our fund is $13 billion and we’re holding $700m in cash' - The money behind Ipswich Town's new owners
- 9 'I am delighted to be joining. There is a lot of hard work that lies ahead' - Town's new CEO Ashton confirmed
- 10 'It's time to embrace a new challenge' - New Ipswich chief announces Bristol City exit
But Moldova drew level for a second time with five minutes remaining when substitute Zislis nipped in at the near post to ensure the points were shared.
Former Ipswich star Darren Ambrose came on as an England substitute for the final 13 minutes.