Late Moldova equaliser denies England
England Under-21 2 Moldova Under-21 2A GOAL five minutes from time denied England victory in their European Championship qualifier at Portman Road tonight.
England Under-21 2 Moldova Under-21 2
A GOAL five minutes from time denied England victory in their European Championship qualifier at Portman Road tonight.
The unmarked Theo Walcott had put England in front after just two minutes and 27 seconds on his Under-21 debut, heading home from a left-wing cross by Leighton Baines.
England did not deserve to be ahead at the interval as Moldova looked the better side for much of the opening period.
Moldova equalised in the 75th minute when Steven Taylor lost possession and Serghei Alexeev beat Scott Carson with a shot just under the bar.
The visitors' joy was shortlived as England restored their lead within a minute, substitute Cameron Jerome supplying a deep cross to the far post where David Nugent headed down and into the roof of the net.
- 1 No timescale for when Suffolk road closed due to flooding can reopen
- 2 Snow possible overnight as 50mph gusts set to arrive in Suffolk
- 3 'Ipswich did so much for me' - Knight excited for Town return with Crewe after dream Manchester City move
- 4 Case of new Omicron Covid variant identified in Essex
- 5 Dispersal order put in place for coastal town
- 6 Face masks to be compulsory in shops and public transport, PM announces
- 7 Fire breaks out at British Sugar Factory
- 8 Nearly 150 homes to go on land no longer needed for jobs
- 9 Hitchhiker died after being hit by lorry wing mirror on A143
- 10 More than 20 drivers caught at speeds of 100mph on A14 within an hour
But Moldova drew level for a second time with five minutes remaining when substitute Zislis nipped in at the near post to ensure the points were shared.
Former Ipswich star Darren Ambrose came on as an England substitute for the final 13 minutes.