Lawrence Taylor records PB in long jump and triple jump for West Suffolk AC
- Credit: Archant
West Suffolk AC braved the heat to compete at Stevenage in the latest Eastern Young Athletes’ League fixture, a depleted team finishing sixth out of seven clubs.
Rebecca Daniel was a star competitor, enjoying a big victory in the under-13 girls’ 1,500m on what was her first league appearance for the club.
Daniel’s time of 5mins 03.1secs shows great promise, and came just a few days after her impressive win over 800 metres at the National Prep Schools event.
The other first places were both taken by Lawrence Taylor, in the long and triple jumps, both with personal bests. Taylor leapt out to 6.49m in the long jump and won with 12.61m in the triple jump.
In the sprints, Harvey Williams (13.7), Callum Grant, Niamh Leeson (14.1) and Lauren Gibbs (13.1) all continue to improve, their new PBs being all the more impressive considering the excessive heat of the day.
There were also new landmarks for Alana Wilson and Thomas McCarthy (5:02.2) in the 1,500m, Adam Oakley and Harry Unwin in the shot put, Cameron McKie in the long jump and 400m (53.4), and Mark Smith in the discus (21.97m).
McKie showed his dedication to the club by turning out so soon after the English Schools Championships, where he clocked a PB over 800m.
- 1 No timescale for when Suffolk road closed due to flooding can reopen
- 2 Snow possible overnight as 50mph gusts set to arrive in Suffolk
- 4 Case of new Omicron Covid variant identified in Essex
- 5 Dispersal order put in place for coastal town
- 6 Face masks to be compulsory in shops and public transport, PM announces
- 7 Fire breaks out at British Sugar Factory
- 8 Nearly 150 homes to go on land no longer needed for jobs
- 9 More than 20 drivers caught at speeds of 100mph on A14 within an hour
- 10 Hitchhiker died after being hit by lorry wing mirror on A143
He was matched by his younger brother Euan McKie who, despite carrying a bad injury, managed to throw the javelin to good effect and score worthwhile points for the under 17s.