U’s raid transfer market again to snap up Stevenson from Wolves
- Credit: Pagepix Ltd
Colchester United have made their second signing, inside 24 hours, by snapping up Ben Stevenson from Wolves this morning.
Midfielder Stevenson, who is a familiar face to U’s fans, having spent three months on loan last season, has signed for the Essex club on a permanent deal extending to two-and-a-half years.
Stevenson initially signed for the U’s almost exactly a year ago, on the final day of the January transfer window from Wolves, for whom he had only just signed from Coventry City for an undisclosed fee.
The 21-year-old played 13 games for the U’s, with 10 starts, and impressed with his composed displays in the middle of the park.
He also netted a couple of goals, on his debut in a 2-0 home win over Newport County on February 3, and also in the 2-1 victory at Forest Green Rovers on Easter Monday.
You may also want to watch:
Stevenson returned to Wolves over the summer, but has not surprisingly found it difficult to break into the Premier league club’s squad.
Instead, he spent the first four months of this season on loan at FC Jumilla, who are Wolves’ partner club. He made 15 appearances for the Spanish outfit.
- 1 Victoria Hall murder: Suffolk strangler Steve Wright reportedly arrested
- 2 'It was as if Covid didn't exist' - Latitude-goers report positive tests
- 3 Town bosses on 'Chequebook FC' nickname, Premier League timeframe and more
- 4 Superstitious nonsense or serious business? - Change on the way as Ipswich Town play the numbers game
- 5 Hunt for Victoria Hall's killer takes another twist
- 6 Boy, 13, pulled from moat at Framlingham Castle
- 7 Boy, 5, in critical condition after incident at department store
- 8 'From the outside it looks silly' - Chaplin on why he dropped down for Town
- 9 Cardinal Park taped off as man suffers stab wounds
- 10 Man airlifted to hospital from beach given 'vital first aid' by lifeguards
Stevenson’s contract will see him remain at the Jobserve Community Stadium until at least the summer of 2021.
He therefore rejoins his former U’s team-mates, as well as fellow new recruit Abo Eisa, who signed on loan from Shrewsbury Town yesterday evening.
Eisa is a Sudan-born flying winger, who plyed his trade in the non-league with the likes of Uxbridge and Wealdstone before his move to Shrewsbury a year ago. The 23-year-old will remain on loan until the end of the season.
U’s Director of Football, Tony Humes, who oversees the club’s transfers, said: “We are delighted to have secured Ben (Stevenson) on a long term deal.
“He is someone who fitted very well into the squad last season and will I’m sure fit in well again now.
“He, and Abo, will offer us different attacking options and that can only benefit the club during the remainder of the season and beyond.”
Leicester-born Stevenson rattled up 48 first team appearances for Coventry at the start of his career.