New recruit Collins impresses in Colchester United’s pre-season win
- Credit: Archant
Maldon & Tiptree 1 Colchester United 4
Colchester United kicked off their pre-season, ahead of the 2018-19 campaign, with a satisfying win over Maldon & Tiptree on a sultry afternoon at Park Drive.
Club captain Luke Prosser, who signed a new deal this summer, broke the deadlock after 12 minutes when rising high to head home a corner delivered by new recruit Aaron Collins.
And Collins was also the creator of the second goal, charging down the left before squaring for Sammie Szmodics, the U’s leading scorer last season (13 goals), to slot home from close-in on the quarter-hour.
The visitors went 3-0 up on 27 minutes. Collins was tripped in the box, while on an attacking run, and he picked himself up to convert the ensuing penalty.
You may also want to watch:
The Jammers pulled a goal back on the half-hour mark, thanks to Sam Warde’s terrific 25-yard free-kick which gave Dillon Barnes no chance in the U’s goal.
The U’s fielded a completely different team in the second half, and they extended their lead on the hour mark. Mikael Mandron swept home the rebound after keeper Vose had blocked Decarrey Sheriff’s effort.
- 1 Film crews shooting new Netflix film in Suffolk village
- 2 Suffolk-based former Marine found dead after 10-month disappearance
- 3 Two mega prisons for 3,500 inmates set to be built near RAF base
- 4 Overturned trailer causing delays on roundabout near Bury St Edmunds
- 5 Delays on Orwell Bridge near Ipswich
- 6 Five people injured in 'violent disorder' at Newmarket racecourse
- 7 Air ambulance called to incident on Bury St Edmunds estate
- 8 Rovers bottom, Town starting to click, key men back... is this the night?
- 9 Town sign 6ft 5ins striker as Nsiala, Jackson and Barry all start for U23s
- 10 Tankers on their way to Suffolk as the government unveils action plan
Sheriff nearly added a fifth in the 71st minute, only for his header to bounce back off the post, and Ryan Gondoh was thwarted by a terrific block with seven minutes remaining.
Colchester United first-half: Barnes, Jackson, Clampin, Prosser, Kent, Lapslie, Wright, Senior, Nouble, Szmodics, Collins
Colchester United second-half: Gilmartin, Barnes, Rooney, Eastman, James, Comley, Pell (sub Wright, 79), Gondoh, Sheriff, Dickenson, Mandron
Maldon & Tiptree first-half: Ross, Girdlestone, Chesmain, Warde, Kafelas, Wright, Laurent, Miller, Akinwinde, Barnard, Freeman
Maldon & Tiptree second-half: Vose, Shephard, Gordon, Kazeem, Brown, Kensdale, Quinn, Coleman, Antwerp, Issa, Dardouh