Lee loves a Spring Scramble
Two wins in three starts for rider
BIKE racer Lee Desborough made it two wins in three years when he claimed yesterday’s Ipswich Bicycle Club Spring Scramble.
Desborough took the 2010 race and was sixth last year, a remarkable record for the St Ives CC rider.
Yesterday’s event was a tough early season challenge on a cool day and the attrition rate was high; only 30 finished the 100km (62 mile) course with a number suffering punctures on roads scattered with sharp grit after heavy rain.
A break of seven got away from the bunch and despite never being more than 40 seconds clear managed to hold on to the advantage.
You may also want to watch:
On the last lap seven became six and Desborough was strongest up the finishing hill near Framsden Mill, crossing the line comfortably ahead of Glendene’s Dan Snow and PCH UK’s Wayne Maguire.
Jonathan Shuster of XRT Elmy Cycles was 7th, Colchester Rovers’ Tom Stephenson was 10th and Ipswich BC’s Graham Collins 18th.
- 1 More Suffolk petrol stations closed as PM plans action
- 2 Explained: What is causing the long queues at petrol stations?
- 3 How it all unfolded: Town grab late point against Owls in bizarre fashion
- 4 Lorry drivers being offered up to £60,000 and other bonuses as shortage bites
- 5 Dramatic pictures as huge barn fire breaks out near coast
- 6 Blaze spreads from classic car to bungalow next door
- 7 Suffolk petrol stations avoid closure as garages shut nationwide
- 8 Two arrested after man dies in crash
- 9 Petrol queues worsen rush-hour traffic
- 10 22 Suffolk schools have Covid-19 outbreaks