Leiston 3 Metropolitan Police 0 report – Blues go second in Bostik Premier, stay unbeaten

Leiston star striker Matt Blake was on target for the Blues. Picture: STEVE WALLER

Leiston star striker Matt Blake was on target for the Blues. Picture: STEVE WALLER - Credit: Picture: Steve Waller

Bostik Premier Leiston 3 Metropolitan Police 0 Leiston moved smoothly into second place in the Bostik Premier Division as they remained the only unbeaten side in the league, writes John Campany.

Christy Finch

Christy Finch - Credit: Picture: Steve Waller

This was hardly a vintage performance at Victory Road in front of 256 spectators against ‘The Met’ who are languishing in the lower reaches of the league table, but a 15 minute purple patch during the first half proved decisive to deservedly take the three points.

There were some fine individual performances, notably man of the match Joe Marsden who not only scored, but was a constant menace with his pace and penetrating runs that proved a threat all afternoon to the visitors.

The home side started well with Dominic Docherty testing visiting custodian Luke Williams in the first minute.

Thereafter there was much probing, but the visitors defended well and were unlucky not to take the lead when Tom Bird crossed beyond the far post and saw Jonathan Wright’s header saved by Marcus Garnham. They went close again when skipper Oliver Robinson headed narrowly wide from a corner.

Thereafter Leiston largely dominated possession with their expansive football but without making progress until the 29th minute when they visibly increased the tempo and were rewarded for their efforts.

Seb Dunbar, enjoying the space down the left, produced a cross that evaded defenders and as the ball ran across the box Matt Blake ghosted in to prod home his third goal of the season.

Most Read

A minute later Blake released Marsden down the right, who picked out Christy Finch whose first time effort struck the post. The visitors were given a searching examination as Marsden cutting inside drove from an angle against the post.

Leiston extended their lead on 42 minutes when a fine move orchestrated by Chris Henderson was completed when Marsden volleyed home a terrific shot.

After the break Finch saw his shot deflected for a corner and Joe Jefford headed over.

It was however, an indifferent second half for the hosts allowing the visitors more possession, but without threatening the well organised home defence featuring Tom Bullard, Jack Ainsley and Jefford.

A 95th minute third goal brought respectability to the score line when substitute Robert Eagle scored a fine effort from close range, following good work from Blake and Marsden.

Become a Supporter

This newspaper has been a central part of community life for many years. Our industry faces testing times, which is why we're asking for your support. Every contribution will help us continue to produce local journalism that makes a measurable difference to our community.

Become a Supporter