Leiston celebrate late winner, while Bury Town plunder four goals

Byron Lawrence, who netted a late winner for Leiston against Brightlingsea Regent. Photo: JAMES BASS

Byron Lawrence, who netted a late winner for Leiston against Brightlingsea Regent. Photo: JAMES BASS - Credit: James Bass

LEISTON’S fine start to their Bostik Premier season continued as they stretched their unbeaten run to nine matches tonight, thanks to a 3-2 home win over BRIGHTLINGSEA REGENT.

Impressive Leiston have now won six and drawn the other three of their nine league matches, following Byron Lawrence’s 86th minute winner in front of a crowd of 249 at Victory Road.

Joe Jefford had put Leiston 1-0 up on 19 minutes, only for Aaron Condon to equalise for the R’s just a minute later. But the hosts were 2-1 up at half-time, via Jack Ainsley’s 35th minute effort.

Brightlingsea, enjoying their first-ever season at this level, equalised for a second time through an in-form Tom Richardson in the 66th minute, but they were reduced to 10 men by Robbie Rees’ 82nd minute dismissal.

And Lawrence then struck with a late winner.

You may also want to watch:

Also in Bostik Premier, NEEDHAM MARKET slithered to a 1-0 defeat at Thurrock, beaten by Remi Sutton’s 33rd minute goal.

In Bostik North, AFC SUDBURY, with Mark Morsley having been appointed their new manager earlier this week, shared a 1-1 home draw aggainst MALDON & TIPTREE in front of a crowd of 170.

Most Read

Morsley was watching from the main stand, with Danny Laws in charge for the final time as caretaker boss.

It was 0-0 at half-time, but Louis Blake ran through to break the deadlock for Sudbury on 63 minutes.

But the Suffolk hosts could not hold on. Alfie Carroll was given a second yellow and ensuing red card for a foul when conceding a 78th minute penalty.

Junior Ogedi-Uzokwe converted the spot kick to secure a point for the Jammers.

BURY TOWN cruised to a 4-2 home win over Hertford, racing into a 4-0 lead inside the first 50 minutes.

Bradley Barber (16) and Cemal Ramadon (36) gave the Blues a 2-0 lead at half-time. Ramadon netted a 47th minute penalty and Darren Mills added the fourth in the 50th minute. Hertford scored two late goals through Jay Lovell (80) and Ollie Sharman (90+3) in front of a crowd of 231.

WITHAM TOWN were beaten 2-0 at home by Bowers & Pitsea.

Become a Supporter

This newspaper has been a central part of community life for many years. Our industry faces testing times, which is why we're asking for your support. Every contribution will help us continue to produce local journalism that makes a measurable difference to our community.

Become a Supporter