Leiston clinch Ridgeons League title
LEISTON got the point they required to be crowned Ridgeons League Premier Division Champions this afternoon.
A 1-1 draw at Wivenhoe Town was sufficient for Leiston, who have not been beaten since the opening day of the season, to lift the title.
Skipper David Head put the Suffolk side in front , rising to head home Danny Cunningham’s right wing corner at the far post in the 25th minute.
Wivenhoe equalised in the 77th minute, substitute Pete Sainsford heading a free kick by T J Amass beyond keeper Matt Gooch.
A bad tempered second half culminated in the dismissal of Wivenhoe’s Tola Odedoyin for a second yellow card in the 83rd minute.
You may also want to watch:
There was no further alarms for Leiston before the final whistle which sparked off celebrations amongst the visiting players and management.
- 1 Caravan owners furious after park suddenly blocks sales of properties
- 2 Engineers repair water main which flooded A14 roundabout
- 3 Matchday Recap: Blues cruise to victory at Fratton Park
- 4 The Suffolk pub serving a gourmet Sunday lunch three days a week
- 5 Portsmouth 0-4 Ipswich Town: Blues deliver Cook's biggest win as boss
- 6 Framlingham taxi driver lives double life as Chateau Diaries star
- 7 'Our most complete performance of the season' - Cook on 4-0 win at Portsmouth
- 8 Former Suffolk school leaders found guilty of professional misconduct
- 9 Ipswich's Covid infection rate now the highest in England
- 10 Thunderstorm warning issued in Suffolk as heavy rain forecast