Leiston defeat Leighton to go through in FA Trophy
- Credit: Gregg Brown
Leiston recovered from an early goal to stun Leighton Town with a five-goal burst to book their Second Qualifying round berth in the FA Trophy.
Danny Watson latched onto a long ball to open the scoring for Leighton but within a minute Leon Ottley-Gooch fired home a Joe Francis cross to level. Conor Hubble put the Blues ahead on 14 minutes seizing onto a poor back pass, before Gareth Heath stroked home a penalty after Francis was felled in the box three minutes before the break.
Three minutes into the second half Heath fired home his second penalty following a hand ball.
Danny Gay made two crucial saves before Tom Winter added a fifth for the visitors thanks to another assist from Joe Francis.
In stoppage time Blake Saker was red-carded for a second yellow card after a foul in the box that resulted in Leighton completing the scoring from the spot.
You may also want to watch:
Leiston will be at home to Paulton Rovers in the next round, on November 15, with the prize money standing at £3,250.
- 1 Matchday Recap: All-square as Town and U's share six goals
- 2 Town complete ninth signing as Edmundson joins from Scottish giants
- 3 Teenage girl allegedly raped on village recreation ground, court hears
- 4 Colchester town centre streets closed following concern over child
- 5 Man dies after lorry crashes into trees
- 6 Family creates 50 new jobs by reviving two Suffolk pubs
- 7 Town complete Chaplin deal as Barnsley forward becomes signing No.10
- 8 'Amazing' - Joy as port welcomes maiden call of luxury cruise ship
- 9 'The people of West Suffolk deserve better': Vote of no confidence for Hancock
- 10 Suffolk postcode sees house prices rise by £100,000 in a year