Leiston continue season preparations with friendly against Stowmarket Town
- Credit: Archant
Leiston’s pre-season charge continues tomorrow against Stowmarket Town at Whitton Sports Centre as Glen Driver’s side continue to build towards the start of a new era in the Evo-Stik League South Premier Central, writes Craig Cooper.
So far in pre-season, Leiston have lost to Coggeshall 4-1 whilst on Tuesday night they beat Kirkley & Pakefield 3-1.
“Pre-season training has been good so far, we were poor at Coggeshall but were better against Kirkley. Some of the younger lads have played in these games as well which is nice to see”, boss Driver said.
“I’m not too worried about the results in friendlies, we lost to Norwich United in the last friendly last season and then went 11 games unbeaten at the start of the season. We are all gearing up to the 11th August when we start the season.”
Driver continued: “I’m not entirely sure what to expect of teams in the division, I’m happy to be at home for the first game of the season against Coalville Town and hopefully the crowd come out to support us.
You may also want to watch:
“This is going to be a younger group of players, we know nothing about the league and teams, but they know nothing about us. We hope to build on the last campaign and even better than that which would be superb.”
After the Coalville game, the North Suffolk Club go to Royston Town on Tuesday August 14 and visit Banbury United on Saturday August 18.
- 1 Major police probe after man and woman found dead in Woodbridge
- 2 National Trust 'deeply saddened' at death of volunteers in Woodbridge incident
- 3 Forensic teams at Woodbridge house after 'incident'
- 4 Woman dies after car collides with tree in Leiston
- 5 Tudor farmhouse with separate annexe is again for sale for £1.275m
- 6 Murder-suicide probe after couple found dead in Woodbridge
- 7 Police cordon after man in 20s found outside Ipswich flats dies
- 8 Stu says: Five observations following Ipswich Town's 0-0 home draw with MK Dons
- 9 Here's what Bristol City boss Pearson said about CEO Ashton being linked to Town
- 10 Suffolk holiday accommodation reaching capacity ahead of re-opening
Leiston have played their opening day opponents Coalville twice previously. They faced the Leicestershire based club in October 2008 in the FA Cup Third Qualifying Round, beating them 1-0 at Victory Road courtesy of a Stuart Boardley penalty.
In March 2011, both teams played each other again in the FA Vase Quarter-final, with Coalville this time winning 1-0.
Meanwhile, the Reserves are at Capel Plough this afternoon looking to gain their third win of pre-season after victories over Benhall St Mary (2-0) and Henley Athletic (3-1) respectively.
The Reserves start their season at Diss Town on Saturday 4th August, while the U18’s begin their title defence away to Hadleigh United on Wednesday 15th August.