Kings of Anglia Issue 10 Magazine Offer

Second-half strikes seal the points for Leiston as impressive run continues

PUBLISHED: 22:55 20 March 2018 | UPDATED: 22:58 20 March 2018

Dominic Docherty, on target for Leiston in their win over Tonbridge. Picture: JOHN HEALD

Dominic Docherty, on target for Leiston in their win over Tonbridge. Picture: JOHN HEALD

Second-half strikes from Byron Lawrence and Dominic Docherty saw Leiston close in on the Bostik Premier play-offs after a 2-0 victory over Tonbridge Angels at Victory Road, writes Craig Cooper.

Glenn Driver’s side are now just a point behind fifth-placed Staines Town as their impressive recent run of five wins in their last six league games continues to gather momentum – and points.

Leiston head to Staines on Saturday.

The home side put a few good early crosses into the box that Tonbridge defended well, while Lawrence shot straight at visiting keeper Jonathon Henly.

From a Tonbridge clearance, Darren Mills won a header which set up Jake Reed but he hastily smashed his shot over the crossbar as Leiston pushed.

Tashi Jay-Kwayie side-footed over from a corner before another move down the right ended with Reed crossing for Mills, but he headed against the crossbar.

Leiston had further efforts through Mills and Kyle Hammond as the half came to a goalless close. Tonbridge should have taken the lead at the start of the second half as Joe Turner’s attempt was pushed out by Marcus Garnham and Xavier Vidal put the rebound wide. Reed’s close-range header was kept out by the impressive Henly, and moments later the away custodian saved excellently from Chris Henderson and Christy Finch.

The home fans were starting to wonder whether a goal would come, but when it did it was the home side who got it.

In the 72nd minute Lawrence spun on the edge of the box to let fly a superb shot into Henly’s bottom left hand corner.

It was a great strike and then Lawrence released a diagonal pass to Finch and he cut inside to unleash a strike that went over the bar.

The home side made the game safe from a corner in the 80th minute as Jefford headed back across goal for Docherty to head into the empty net and earn the three points.

Meanwhile Lowestoft suffered a 3-1 home defeat to leaders Dulwich Hamlet at Crown Meadow. Three first-half goals were enough for the south London side.

Travis Cole pulled a late consolation back for the home side in front of almost 400 fans.

Most Read

Most Read

Latest from the East Anglian Daily Times

Hot Jobs

Show Job Lists