Leiston miss chance to make ground on rivals in upset defeat to Staines Town
- Credit: Archant
Ryman Premier Leiston 0 Staines Town 1 Leiston’s chances of drawing closer to league leaders Bognor Regis were dealt a severe blow in this Ryman Premier Division clash with visiting Staines Town, who proved stronger and deservedly took the points with a 59th minute goal.
In a goalless but pulsating first half both sides were indebted to their keepers, particularly Jacob Marsden, the home custodian.
The visitors opened strongly with Clifton’s fierce effort striking the bar and Marsden saving from Worsfold.
Jonathan Hippolyte then shot wide in front of goal and Hutchings in the home defence made two tremendous blocks to deny the impressive Worsfold and Hippolyte.
At the other end Cole released Nico Muir who fired low but Turner made a fine save and then Hippolyte in full flight cut inside and drove low but Marsden saved at his near post.
You may also want to watch:
The visitors were adapting better in the heavy conditions and the pace of Worsfold took him past three defenders in a penetrating run before striking a ferocious effort that Marsden, in full flight, magnificently saved.
Leiston had their moments and Muir picked out Francis, who moving into the box, drove but it was Turner this time making the save and he did well subsequently to deny Cole.
- 1 A12 reopens after serious collision
- 2 Family 'devastated' after elderly man's Reliant Robin tipped over
- 4 Our Ipswich Town predictions: Top scorer, best player, where they'll finish and more
- 5 Man who built outbuildings and lake without permission fined £1,300
- 6 Snape Maltings launches two new restaurants with far-reaching river views
- 7 Haverhill firm goes into liquidation with just £2.42 in the bank
- 8 'There won't be a better group of strikers in the league' - Jeffers on Town's firepower
- 9 Olly Murs in hospital after leg injury from Newmarket Nights gig
- 10 Suffolk pub reopens with exclusive Champagne carvery
Home supporters were anticipating Leiston completing the double over Staines but the visitors were much the better balanced side and went in front on the hour.
A fine shot from Bettamer struck the post and rebounded to Hippolyte who tapped home from close range.
Matt Blake produced a great run and set up Francis but he fired tamely. Leiston manager Glen Driver rang the changes and although these showed some improvement the visitors were far better than their league position, defended in numbers and threatened on the break.
However, the experienced Gareth Heath drove forward and shot just wide whilst Turner saved point blank from Blake, and Muir had two efforts blocked, but it was all too little too late.
Leiston – Marsden, Ainsley, Dunbar, Cole (Heath 65th), Hutchings, Bullard, Lawrence (Brown 78th), Francis (Hubble 65th), Blake, Muir, Brothers.
Staines Town – Turner, Day, Vanderhyde (Miller – Rodney 46th) , Ahmidi, Coker, Brewer, Brown, Clifton (Baley – Brown 84th), Bettamer, Hippolyte (Haile 90th), Worsfold.
Referee – Neil West
Attendance – 208