Non-league round-up: Defeats for Leiston, Needham and AFC Sudbury, but Bury Town rescue a point
- Credit: Lucy Taylor
Both Leiston and Needham Market saw their 100% winning starts to the season ended by disappointing defeats this afternoon, in the Evo-Stik Southern League Premier Central.
LEISTON suffered a 1-0 loss at Barnbury United, in front of a crowd of 404.
Ricky Johnson’s 67th minute goal was enough to inflict a first defeat of the season on Glenn Driver’s men.
Likewise, Richard Wilkins’ NEEDHAM MARKET had a bad afternoon, losing 2-0 at home to Leicestershire-based Barwell with skipper Brady Hickey netting both goals in the second half.
In the Bostik Premier, BRIGHTLINGSEA REGENT slithered to a 3-0 home defeat at the hands of Margate.
You may also want to watch:
AFC SUDBURY were beaten 1-0 at home by HEYBRIDGE SWIFTS in the Bostik North, in front of a crowd of 285.
The Suffolk side suffered the heartbreak of concediing a 94th minute goal, Sam Bantick converting a penalty after he had been fouled in the box by Jordan Blackwell.
- 1 Victoria Hall murder: Suffolk strangler Steve Wright reportedly arrested
- 2 'It was as if Covid didn't exist' - Latitude-goers report positive tests
- 3 Town bosses on 'Chequebook FC' nickname, Premier League timeframe and more
- 4 Hunt for Victoria Hall's killer takes another twist
- 5 Superstitious nonsense or serious business? - Change on the way as Ipswich Town play the numbers game
- 6 Boy, 13, pulled from moat at Framlingham Castle
- 7 Boy, 5, in critical condition after incident at department store
- 8 'From the outside it looks silly' - Chaplin on why he dropped down for Town
- 9 Cardinal Park taped off as man suffers stab wounds
- 10 Man airlifted to hospital from beach given 'vital first aid' by lifeguards
BURY TOWN were held to a 1-1 home draw by Romford, securing a point thanks to substitute Tanner Call’s 84th minute equaliser, after Chris Taylor had put the Essex visitors ahead on the stroke of half-time. A gate of 296 was at Ram Meadow.
Elsewhere in Bostik North, MILDENHALL TOWN lost 2-1 at Basildon United, where Brian Moses and Marcus Bowers were on target for the Essex hosts in the second half. Tom Debenham had equalised in the 64th minute.
WITHAM TOWN celebrated a good 3-2 win on the road, at Barking, although league newcomers COGGESHALL TOWN were beaten 4-2 away at Dereham Town.
MALDON & TIPTREE were 1-0 winners at home to Brentwood Town in the same division. The goal came in the last minute courtesy of Sammie Mcleod.
FELIXSTOWE & WALTON UNITED were defeated 2-0 at Great Wakering Rovers.