Leiston, Needham through but Felixstowe go out
TWO GOALS by Gareth Heath gave Leiston a superb victory over Folkestone Invicta in last night’s FA Cup second qualifying round replay.
Goalkeeper Jamie Stannard also saved a penalty as Leiston claimed the scalp of their Ryman League Premier Division opponents, who play two rungs higher than the Suffolk side on the non-league ladder.
Leiston will now be at home in the third qualifying round to North Greenford United after the Middlesex side eased past Felixstowe & Walton United 3-0 in their replay.
A crowd of 305 - the largest at Dellwood Avenue for some time - saw Glenn Snell, who was making his first start for the club, receive a straight red card just before half time with the home team trailing 1-0.
The visitors added two more in the second half to book a return trip to Suffolk on Saturday, October 9.
Needham Market made no mistake at the second attempt as they won 2-0 at Ryman League Division One South side Chipstead following Saturday’s goalless draw at Bloomfields.
Needham had to battle against their hosts to win the tie thanks to goals from Darren Bethell and Craig Parker to set up a home match against Ebbsfleet United, who won 4-2 at home to Cray Wanderers.
- 1 A14 reopens after 'serious' crash involving three lorries
- 2 Two Suffolk beaches named among best in Britain for a winter walk
- 3 How have Suffolk's towns changed over the last decade?
- 4 Town closing in on permanent deal for keeper Walton
- 5 Ipswich Town transfer rumour: League One trio eye Preston defender
- 6 Suffolk mum diagnosed with terminal cancer after beating disease twice before
- 7 Anger as second homeowners set to receive £191million in Covid grants
- 8 Road closed while fire crews tackle Martlesham blaze
- 9 PM ‘dropped a clanger’ with garden bash apology, legal expert suggests
- 10 Motorist angry over £100 'fine' at Ipswich car park
Bury Town will attempt to join Leiston and Needham in the third qualifying round when they travel to Grays Athletic for their replay tonight following Saturday’s 2-2 draw at Ram Meadow.