Leiston pick up a point but Bury are beaten

Leiston in action against Grays Athletics in a previous fixture

Leiston in action against Grays Athletics in a previous fixture - Credit: Lucy Taylor

Ryman League

Premier Division

Bognor Regis Town 0 Leiston 0

It’s now almost seven hours of football since Leiston ‘keeper Danny Gay conceded in the league but he had to work hard to preserve that record at promotion chasing Bognor Regis Town.

The visitors had to defend resolutely to gain what manager Steve Ball called ‘a very big point’.

The hosts started well and Dodd’s early effort came back off the woodwork before Gay denied Pearce.

Gay was certainly the busier ‘keeper although most of Bognor’s efforts brought routine saves. Gradually Leiston began to impose themselves on the game and during the second half the visitors got on top.

Most Read

Allen almost diverted Joe Francis’ cross into his own net before Jack Simmons went clean through but was denied by Smith in the home goal.

The hosts applied some late pressure but were unable to breach the hard working visitors who were well marshalled by skipper David Head.

Wingate and Finchley 1 Bury Town 0

With a stronger line up than of late Bury were hoping to halt their recent poor run of results but after going behind in the 13th minute they rarely threatened.

With the wind behind them Wingate and Finchley took the lead when Tommy Tejan-Sie got clear on the left and his cross was headed towards goal by Ola Sogbanmu. Marcus Garnham parried but Josh Kennett drilled home the loose ball to net what proved to be the winner.

Bury lost influential playmaker Billy Clark in the final minute when he fell whilst making a challenge.

Midway through the second half Bury improved and with Jordan Patrick looking dangerous on the left Wingate were forced onto the defensive.

They failed to get much on target however with Jack Brame’s free-kick the only shot for Bobby Smith to save.

Division One North

Barkingside 1 Needham Market 1

Barkingside were first to register when a long ball down the left side was missed by Hogg in an aerial challenge with the physical Poku.

Covering defender Nunn under hit his back pass to Plummer allowing Barkingside’s Carvell to bypass the ‘keeper and walk the ball into the net.

Needham were still looking a bit out of sorts but did start to apply consistent pressure and on 25 minutes an excellent volley from Dave Cowley struck the underside of the bar.

Despite calls from supporters that the ball had crossed the line the referee played on.

However, Ryan Crisp grabbed the equaliser when he dribbled his way down the right wing and along the goal-line before making room to fire an excellent left-foot shot into the net.

The second half continued in much the same vein with both sides trying to create chances and deep into additional time Sam Nunn did find himself with a chance to win the game but his shot forced an excellent save from the ‘keeper.

Harlow Town 1 AFC Sudbury 1

AFC Sudbury came from behind to earn a share of the spoils from a hard-fought encounter.

Sudbury started brightly but it was the home side who broke the deadlock after 19 minutes when Shane Stamp broke down the left, beat his marker and crossed for Junior Dadson to fire home at the far post.

The defences went on to dominate until the 33rd minute when Sudbury had a clearance blocked resulting in a defensive mix-up which resulted in a back pass to ‘keeper Alex Archer being intercepted by Harlow’s Alex Read.

The home striker was fouled by Archer who was yellow carded and a penalty awarded.

Read took the spot-kick but Archer dived to his left to prevent the home side from doubling their lead.

Six minutes into the second half Sudbury levelled when they were awarded a free-kick wide right near the corner flag. It was taken by Jack Wilkinson who curled a left-footed shot directly int

Become a Supporter

This newspaper has been a central part of community life for many years. Our industry faces testing times, which is why we're asking for your support. Every contribution will help us continue to produce local journalism that makes a measurable difference to our community.

Become a Supporter