Leiston score four to progress in FA Cup
- Credit: Archant
Leiston 4 Cheshunt 2
Leiston beat Cheshunt 4-2 in toight’s FA Cup first qualifying round replay at Victory Road, in front of a crowd of 179.
Home keeper Marcus Garnham made three great saves during the evening, while the visitors’ Ricky Sappleton changed the course of the game for a while with a brace of goals early in the second half.
The two sides had drawn 2-2 at Cheshunt on Saturday, but Leiston soon got their noses in front in the replay thanks to Cemal Ramadan’s fourth minute opener.
Christy Finch doubled the lead with a 40th minute penalty to give Leiston a 2-0 advantage at half-time.
You may also want to watch:
Substitute Sappleton halved the deficit via a 57th minute penalty, and then grabbed the equaliser just three minutes later.
However, Jake Reed restored Leiston’s lead in the 66th minute and substitute Matt Blake made the game safe with a fourth on 89 minutes.
- 1 Pictures show flooding along Suffolk coast
- 2 Ipswich Town transfer rumour: Villa set to recall Barry in January
- 3 Red flooding alert issued for Suffolk coastal town
- 4 Large cannabis farm discovered in property near Suffolk-Essex border
- 5 Family pays tribute to 'gentle giant' who died in motorbike crash
- 6 Police officers praised for saving baby's life with CPR
- 7 'Striking' Suffolk eco home featured on Grand Designs up for sale
- 8 Work finally starts on the Ipswich Garden Suburb after decades of debate
- 9 Bill Turnbull announces leave from Classic FM show for health reasons
- 10 No need to wait for booster invitation - clarification after Covid jab confusion
Leiston’s reward for tonight’s victory is a home match against Hastings United in the second qualifying round on Saturday, September 22.
LEISTON: Garnham, Hammond, Dunbar (sub Eagle, 67), Aitkens, Jefford, Bullard, Lawrence, Henderson, Reed, (sub Cheetham, 90) Finch (sub Blake, 87), Ramadan. Unused subs: Bacon, Knights, Beckwith
Meanwhile, 10-man Coggeshall Town delivered a superb second-half performance to beat hosts Berkhamsted 2-1 in a replay this evening in West Hertfordshire.
Ross Wall gave Coggeshall the lead after just six minutes, only for Courtney Massay to equalise for the hosts just 60 seconds later.
Curtis Haynes-Brown was sent off on the stroke of half-time, after incurring two yellow cards, but the Seed Growers stepped up a gear in the second perid and Wall came up with the winner in the 57th minute, his long-range shot deceiving the home keeper.
Long Melford and Haverhill Rovers face each other in another first qualifying round replay tomorrow evening (kick-off 7.45pm) at Stoneylands.
Saturday’s match ended in a 0-0 draw at Haverhill, after Rovers striker Prince Mutswunguma had missed a second-minute penalty in that fixture.