Leiston to try again on Tuesday night

LEISTON will try again tomorrow night to play their Ryman League Division One North title-decider.

The Suffolk side will be hoping it is a case of third time lucky, after their match against Potters Bar Town was postponed due to a waterlogged pitch on Saturday and then again yesterday.

With Enfield Town taking over at the top of the table following their 3-0 win at Grays Athletic on Saturday, Leiston must now win tomorrow’s rearranged match to clinch the title, and so avoid the lottery of the play-offs.

It was originally thought the match would be staged tonight, but Leiston chairman Andy Crisp said that following consultations between the two clubs and the Ryman League, it had been agreed to play the match tomorrow evening.

He said yesterday: “Everyone was thinking it would be on Monday night, but it has now been confirmed as a 7.45pm kick-off on Tuesday.

You may also want to watch:

“We are very disappointed the game could not go ahead on Saturday as we had major sponsors coming and an after-match meal and were planning to make a day of it.

“We had an independent referee - Alan Dale from Ipswich - over on Saturday morning and this morning to inspect the pitch. We had 20 people working on the pitch on Saturday and nearly as many today, but all to no avail.”

Most Read

Crisp said that it was likely the semi-final play-off match involving the second-placed side (either Leiston or Enfield Town) and the fifth placed side (Grays Athletic) will now take place on Thursday, rather than tomorrow night.

Needham Market, who lost 2-1 at home to Brentwood Town on Saturday, finished fourth and will now travel to Tilbury tomorrow evening in the other play-off semi-final tie.

In the Ryman League Premier Division, Lowestoft Town clinched third place with a 4-1 win at champions Billericay and will host Wealdstone in the play-off semi-final on Wednesday evening, while Bury Town, 7-1 winners at Tooting & Mitcham on Saturday, will travel to runners-up AFC Hornchurch on the same night.

Chelmsford, for so long in the play-off places in Blue Square Bets South, finished in sixth spot. Basingstoke drew 1-1 at Welling to clinch fifth place, while Chelmsford let a half-time 2-1 lead slip as they went down 3-2 at home to Woking.

The destination of the Ridgeons League was already settled before Saturday’s final round of matches, but Whitton United will be bidding to put the disappointment of losing the Division One KO Cup final to Godmanchester behind them when they face Long Melford in the Suffolk Senior Cup final at Portman Road on Wednesday.

Woodbridge Athletic clinched the Kingsley Healthcare SIL Senior Division title in emphatic style, winning 6-1 against East Bergholt United in a match switched from their hosts’ waterlogged ground to Gainsborough Sports Centre in Ipswich.

Become a Supporter

This newspaper has been a central part of community life for many years. Our industry faces testing times, which is why we're asking for your support. Every contribution will help us continue to produce local journalism that makes a measurable difference to our community.

Become a Supporter
Comments powered by Disqus