Leon Best won’t play for me again, says Ipswich Town boss Mick McCarthy
- Credit: Picture: Steve Waller
Ipswich Town manager Mick McCarthy has said that Leon Best won’t play for him again.
The journeyman striker, 30, joined the club as a free agent, on a one-year deal, following the £3m sale of Daryl Murphy to Newcastle last August.
He provided some encouraging early performances, but slipped down the pecking order after an injury set-back and produced a disappointing display in the recent 1-0 defeat at non-league side Lincoln in the FA Cup.
“I’ve told him he won’t play again for me,” said McCarthy, when asked about the former Southampton, Coventry, Newcastle, Blackburn and Rotherham player, who was not part of the squad which travelled to Huddersfield last weekend.
“He came in, trained well for two weeks and really impressed everyone. It was a case of right place, right time for him, but he’s not done it since.
You may also want to watch:
“I’m sure Leon has a different view, but it’s my view that counts. I decided after that Lincoln game that was it.”
- 1 Road closed as one person trapped in car on its roof
- 2 11 Suffolk hotels named among best in the country
- 3 Pictures show flooding along Suffolk coast
- 4 Major A14 roundabout may not reopen until next week as water main repaired
- 5 Widow: 'Heartless' council won't allow extra 4 inches for my husband's headstone
- 6 A140 closed in both directions after two vehicle crash
- 7 Suffolk shop wins 'Boutique Clothing Store of the Year'
- 8 'I've got goosebumps... I've been blown away' - Town owner Johnson excited for first Portman Road game
- 9 Caravan owners furious after park suddenly blocks sales of properties
- 10 Warning of seasonal canine disorder after dachshund Trudie taken ill