Leon Best won’t play for me again, says Ipswich Town boss Mick McCarthy
- Credit: Picture: Steve Waller
Ipswich Town manager Mick McCarthy has said that Leon Best won’t play for him again.
The journeyman striker, 30, joined the club as a free agent, on a one-year deal, following the £3m sale of Daryl Murphy to Newcastle last August.
He provided some encouraging early performances, but slipped down the pecking order after an injury set-back and produced a disappointing display in the recent 1-0 defeat at non-league side Lincoln in the FA Cup.
“I’ve told him he won’t play again for me,” said McCarthy, when asked about the former Southampton, Coventry, Newcastle, Blackburn and Rotherham player, who was not part of the squad which travelled to Huddersfield last weekend.
“He came in, trained well for two weeks and really impressed everyone. It was a case of right place, right time for him, but he’s not done it since.
“I’m sure Leon has a different view, but it’s my view that counts. I decided after that Lincoln game that was it.”
- 1 Man caught massaging woman's leg by husband viewing home CCTV
- 2 Evicted Suffolk family of dying child given early Christmas presents
- 3 Snow possible overnight as 50mph gusts set to arrive in Suffolk
- 4 Suffolk beauty spots ranked among best in UK
- 5 Is this the cheapest house for sale in Suffolk?
- 6 Automatics out-of-reach and making the play-offs a real battle? The size of the task now facing Ipswich
- 7 Action taken to target second home owners exploiting tax loophole
- 8 Willow Tree Farm Shop & Cafe: 'A lovely blend of upmarket and informal'
- 9 'You can't kid supporters... we have to give them a lift' - Cook previews Crewe clash
- 10 Man taken to hospital after being stabbed in chest and arms