Let them sneer – Ipswich Town boss Mick McCarthy surprised by ‘derogatory’ comments
- Credit: Archant
Ipswich Town boss Mick McCarthy admits he takes great pleasure in beating those that ‘sneer’ at and make ‘derogatory’ comments about his side.
The low-budget Blues – a collection of free transfers, a non-league bargain and academy graduates – are fourth in the Championship table heading into this lunchtime’s televised clash at Charlton (12.15pm).
Just one defeat in 14 has forced the rest of the division to take their promotion credentials very seriously, but that hasn’t stopped opposition managers resorting to sour grapes after running into the Suffolk side.
Watford manager Slavisa Jokanovic referred to Town’s ‘physicality and long balls’ after his side’s 1-0 defeat at Portman Road (despite the home side dominating possession), while Bournemouth boss Eddie Howe bemoaned his team not being awarded a penalty and insisted Ipswich ‘didn’t deserve’ to claim a share of the spoils in a 2-2 draw at Dean Court last weekend.
“It makes it all the more sweeter when we p*** the opposition manger off doesn’t it?” said McCarthy. “There are some of them who think they’re a little bit above us, maybe better footballers who stroke it about a bit more, and it really irks them when the comprehensive lads come and rough a few schoolboys up. They don’t like it do they?
You may also want to watch:
“It just gives me greater satisfaction when we beat them. Even more so when they whinge about it afterwards.”
He continued: “What do they think we’re going to do? Let’s just have a nice pretty game of football and see who wins it? It doesn’t work like that.
- 1 The places with the highest and lowest levels of Covid in Suffolk
- 2 Stu says: Six observations following Town's 2-2 draw at Cambridge
- 3 Four men arrested after man dies at Felixstowe lorry park
- 4 2,000 patients visit A&E because they are feeling depressed
- 5 Town get home draw in FA Cup First Round as ex-Blues head to Sudbury
- 6 Jailed in Suffolk: J Block gang members and man who attacked train station staff
- 7 North Stander: Nowhere near good enough at this stage of the season
- 8 'There's something missing in this team' - Town fans on draw at Cambridge
- 9 New fishmonger shop opens in Suffolk market town
- 10 US jets to practice flypast over Suffolk this morning
“I think there are a few clubs that look down their nose at us and think they’re better than us. It’s derogatory sometimes the way they react.
“It surprises me. Solid Championship teams are not to be sneered at. Burnley were one of those and they got promoted. They had a couple of top strikers, but, let me tell you, everything behind that was really disciplined and organised.”
– See today’s EADT for full match preview. Follow @Stuart_Watson on Twitter for live match updates.