SIL round-up: Liam Hillyard scores a hat-trick in five minutes as Achilles thump Coplestonians 7-0

Liam Hillyard scored a hat-trick in just five minutes in Achilles' big win over Coplestonians. Pictu

Liam Hillyard scored a hat-trick in just five minutes in Achilles' big win over Coplestonians. Picture: STEVE WALLER - Credit: Picture: Steve Waller

SIL powerhouse Achilles overcame previously unbeaten Coplestonians 7-0, with all the goals coming in an action-packed first half.

A remarkable opening 20 minutes saw Achilles score six goals, including a hat-trick in five minutes by Liam Hillyard.

To add to the thrills, when the score was just 1-0, Achilles ‘keeper Sean Chaplin dived to block Kieran Driver’s penalty kick.

Inevitably, the second period was dull in comparison!

Elswhere, a goal after four minutes play was enough to give home side Benhall St Mary the points against Capel Plough.

You may also want to watch:

Beal saved a shot from Everington, before a free-kick from Winter was slotted home by Pemberton following a goalmouth scramble.

Meanwhile, a still depleted Henley Athletic visited Trimley for what is always a tough game against league leaders Felixstowe Harpers and despite having the lion’s share of the chances had to settle for a point following a hard-fought 1-1 draw.

Most Read

Henley opened the scoring within two minutes when Horner’s cross was fumbled by Walden in the home goal and Byron Tejano was on hand to poke it home for 0-1.

Chance after chance followed for Henley with Bruce coming close on several occasions including hitting the bar, George saw a point blank header saved and Field fired over with the goal at his mercy.

As is so often the case when you don’t take your chances you get caught out with a sucker punch, and Harpers equalised with a fine header from a corner with their first serious attempt on goal minutes before half-time to make it 1-1.

Harpers were much better after the break as the game developed into an intriguing midfield battle with some serious talent on display from both sides. A really competitive match, but Henley must view it as two points dropped.

Finally, Grundisburgh saw off East Bergholt 2-0 to make it three wins on the bounce. Dan Pearson gave them the lead after nine minutes when his corner went straight in.

Rene Swann made the points safe after 50 minutes, with a strong left-footed finish from a Pearson corner.

Become a Supporter

This newspaper has been a central part of community life for many years. Our industry faces testing times, which is why we're asking for your support. Every contribution will help us continue to produce local journalism that makes a measurable difference to our community.

Become a Supporter