SIL round-up: Liam Hillyard scores a hat-trick in five minutes as Achilles thump Coplestonians 7-0
- Credit: Picture: Steve Waller
SIL powerhouse Achilles overcame previously unbeaten Coplestonians 7-0, with all the goals coming in an action-packed first half.
A remarkable opening 20 minutes saw Achilles score six goals, including a hat-trick in five minutes by Liam Hillyard.
To add to the thrills, when the score was just 1-0, Achilles ‘keeper Sean Chaplin dived to block Kieran Driver’s penalty kick.
Inevitably, the second period was dull in comparison!
Elswhere, a goal after four minutes play was enough to give home side Benhall St Mary the points against Capel Plough.
You may also want to watch:
Beal saved a shot from Everington, before a free-kick from Winter was slotted home by Pemberton following a goalmouth scramble.
Meanwhile, a still depleted Henley Athletic visited Trimley for what is always a tough game against league leaders Felixstowe Harpers and despite having the lion’s share of the chances had to settle for a point following a hard-fought 1-1 draw.
- 1 Victoria Hall murder: Suffolk strangler Steve Wright reportedly arrested
- 2 Hunt for Victoria Hall's killer takes another twist
- 3 'It was as if Covid didn't exist' - Latitude-goers report positive tests
- 4 Town bosses on 'Chequebook FC' nickname, Premier League timeframe and more
- 5 'From the outside it looks silly' - Chaplin on why he dropped down for Town
- 6 Cardinal Park taped off as man suffers stab wounds
- 7 Boy, 5, in critical condition after incident at department store
- 8 Man airlifted to hospital from beach given 'vital first aid' by lifeguards
- 9 Boy, 13, pulled from moat at Framlingham Castle
- 10 Motorcyclist in life-threatening condition after crash with parked cars
Henley opened the scoring within two minutes when Horner’s cross was fumbled by Walden in the home goal and Byron Tejano was on hand to poke it home for 0-1.
Chance after chance followed for Henley with Bruce coming close on several occasions including hitting the bar, George saw a point blank header saved and Field fired over with the goal at his mercy.
As is so often the case when you don’t take your chances you get caught out with a sucker punch, and Harpers equalised with a fine header from a corner with their first serious attempt on goal minutes before half-time to make it 1-1.
Harpers were much better after the break as the game developed into an intriguing midfield battle with some serious talent on display from both sides. A really competitive match, but Henley must view it as two points dropped.
Finally, Grundisburgh saw off East Bergholt 2-0 to make it three wins on the bounce. Dan Pearson gave them the lead after nine minutes when his corner went straight in.
Rene Swann made the points safe after 50 minutes, with a strong left-footed finish from a Pearson corner.